Tequepis Trail

Tequepis Trail is a 8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Goleta, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Steep at times and the view is worth it!

Fantastic hike !! Loved the solitude. We only saw two other people on the trail. We only completed 5 miles so will definitely need to come back to get to the top. Great views of Lake Cachuma !!

We hiked up 5 miles before we realized it was too hot and we were running low on water . I would do this again but plan out 5 hours of your day if you wish to make it to the tip of the trail (about 8 miles one way ) . Beautiful trail but maybe a bit to dry for the summer . Over all you get a nice view of Lake Cachuma

Beautiful views, once you get to the top, you'll be able to see both sides of the front range. Make sure you bring a lot of water, especially in the summer since it's much hotter than the front side of the front range. Most of the trail doesn't have shade, but there are spots along the way with the beginning and end mostly in tree cover.

Awesome trail! Challenging, beautiful, and some incredible views...once is not enough!

Grueling for a first timer but view is very much worth it. Lots of shade at points .

This was moderate to hard. It was a steady climb all the way (4.5 miles to the top) Great view at the top. .WARNNG!!!! We did have an encounter with a baby rattler at the top. Our dog was bitten but thank god we were able to get her down to to a vet. Also lots of ticks.... I think both of these issue were related to the time of year. Had the snake been older it would have had a rattle and given us some warning.

One of my favorite hikes.

DON'T FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS FROM THE APP TO THE TRAILHEAD! The app will take you to the top of the trail off of Camino Cielo. Follow the directions to Camp Whittier and the proceed to circle V camp.

I don't know if it was the time of day or the time of year I took this hike, but it was shaded in most of the way up (and down). Was a good uphill climb to the top of the mountain saddle where I could see both Lake Cachuma as well as the ocean. This was a well traveled path with a few areas of rocky terrain. Definitely worth the trip!

Tequepis Trail is a wonderful hike located off the 154 - coming from the North turn right at the break-off road to "Camp Whittier" just after the Cachuma Lake entrance and keep left at the fork (the right fork will lead you to Camp Whittier.) Head all the way down to Circle V where you'll find a spot on the right to park your car. Walk through the Circle V camp to find the trailhead. At 9mi total and a 3000ft elevation gain the hike is grueling, but the ascent is steady (there aren't any suddenly steep parts) and about half of the stretch has oak tree shade cover. The scenery is amazing - probably the best view of Cachuma Lake you could ask for and a panoramic view of the Pacific Ocean at the top. Watch out for snakes, I came across two during my trek.

This trail is the reason I MTB. I never thought coming from Denver I would fall in love with a California mountain like I have with Tequepis. It is my favorite trail of all time. The solitude is refreshing. As a DH rider, I don't mind putting in 2 full hours of pushing the bike up to the top for the absolute bliss this trail is on the way down (even though, if you truly decide to crush the DH, you will be done and back at your car in less than 20 minutes). The scenery is unparalleled, but I'd make sure to take a good look on the way up, because you're going to want to really pay attention on the way down. The skinny singletrack can get quite rocky in some points and opposite the mountain you just have a long fall, but it is absolutely worth it. This is probably a moderate trail, but if you really push it, it can become an advanced trail, just because of the risks you take. Once done with the switchbacks of the mountain you end up at the base and flying down a rocky, sandy, muddy road with a few good, big jumps. This trail will leave a huge smile on your face and leave you wanting more. (As I mentioned above, the singletrack is pretty skinny and sketchy, so make sure to bring a bell to alert anyone on the trail when you're coming down)

Park outside the Circle V gate at the signed parking, then go through the gate. A sign just down the road points left for the trail, follow it past the cabins and to another gate where the trail starts. Do not use the camp's bathrooms, that is incredibly rude. You have a right to pass, not a right to make it your home.

Significant work has been done in the recent past to open up the trail, and it is a very comfortable climb now. It seems an easier grade than the front country trails except for one rather eroded area along a property line (as indicated by barbed wire). It is wooded and cool when moist, as it was today. The top can be windy and was really really blowing today although most of the hike up was still. Excellent lake views all the way up, then massive ocean view at the top.

I stopped by the waterfall off a spur trail on the way up and continued on to Santa Ynez and Broadcast Peaks at the top.

Awesome hike! Be prepared for a steep journey though. The view from the top is well worth it. Definitely a moderate to difficult level.... not for faint of heart. Wear comfortable shoes. as the way back down really bothered my feet (as well as my knees), but nothing that a good post-hike rest can't cure. My husband & I just hiked this trail the weekend before July 4th (2012) & we weren't quite accustomed to the changing temperatures along the way - OR the sun. So be sure to bring a lot of water, sunscreen & maybe a light cover-up for the peak, as the Pacific winds are rip-roaring & the temperature is much cooler on top of the mountain. (Plus if you plan to hang out for a few, you might cool down considerably.) The last 1.5 - 2 miles are on a very narrow path with a lot of overgrown foliage, so be aware of burrs getting stuck in your clothing & DON'T lose your balance either ; ) A+ hike!!

NOTE: Once you are parked, you actually have to walk all the way through the church camp in order to get the trail itself. Pass the pool... pass (& use if you need) the bathrooms & continue straight back. Took us a while to figure that one out ; )

Great Hike! First time I've hiked from the north side of the Santa Ynez. Significantly more tree coverage than similar trails on the Pacific side that are still recovering from recent fires.

Trail is narrow and fairly steep. A good hike. Head to the saddle at the top and see the ocean on one side and Cachuma lake on the other. Stunning view!

Ive done this hike about times now, it is a small narrow trail most of the way up but offers great view of the Santa Ynez valley on the way up and then at the top you get a great view of the Pacific Ocean and Goleta