Tahquitz Peak via Devils Slide Trail

Tahquitz Peak via Devils Slide Trail is a 8.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idyllwild, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Historic fire-lookout, great views, incredible San Jacintos, loop opportunity This is the most heavily used trail in The San Jacinto Wilderness, the parking lot is right on the border. You will see lots of people on the weekend, the trail quota fills up fast. You might see rangers on this trail, I saw two sets and they told me they are up there every weekend, so do get a permit, this isn't the south ridge, or Marion Mountain, and if you're like me, you'll pass them on the way up. This is an elevation gainer, no question about it. You will know that you are climbing a peak. If you are a novice hiker, it will definitely border on strenuous, but the experienced hiker will rough it out in nothing flat. It takes me right around two hours to do it. It's a beautiful trail, though, and as long as no one is too obnoxious, you should enjoy relative peace and tranquility.

This was my first time to hike the area and I was impressed at all the opportunities to explore. This hike was a training run to get up San Jacinto at a later time, and all went really well. There were a few very scenic spots, including one along the PCT that offered a view to the ridge of Tahquitz Peak and Lilly rock, down to the parking area, and the area around San Jacinto. When I got to the fire lookout, I was fortunate to go inside and see how they spot fires. The view was amazing. I had lunch at the summit and found a benchmark as well. It was a great day.

Beautiful scenery. It's a steep climb going up. Worth the effort

Great Hike nice views and fairly simple to follow the trail.

This was a great hike. Great conditioning going up. Had a great lunch to the top where you can see meadows with ferns awesome.

Not too difficult and the lookout was way cool

My third time on the Devil's Slide trail. My second time hiking from Saddle Junction along the PCT to Chinquapin Flat. My first time, finishing this hike off by continuing another half mile up the South Ridge Trail to the Tahquitz Peak Lookout. Knowing the temps would be high 90's, I brought 6 liters of water drank over three liters and shared the rest with others who thought one bottle would be enough. Don't underestimate the hike and the weather. Bring as much as you can carry, even if you don't drink it all. We had our first encounter with a baby rattle snake today. Maybe 10 or 12 inches long. Keep your eyes and ears open. Most times rattlers will sense you coming and avoid you. Most snake bites occur when we startle them. So check your area when taking breaks and sitting down. The trail is great! The first 2.6 miles on the Devil's Slide are challenging. The 1.5 miles along the PCT are pretty easy and relaxing. We had lunch at Chinquapin Plat before heading up the last .5 miles on South Ridge Trail, which is just as challenging as the DST but mostly due to the elevation gain. The views and history of the Lookout are so worth the challenge.

Great trail. A million people up there.

Always a great hike!

Incredible views. Did this last Saturday and we could see all the way to Catalina, Baja California and Mexico, though I wouldnt have known that if the ranger hadnt pointed them out.
Also joined the Ancient and Honorable Order of Squirrels. :) Ask the ranger about that one.
If you're a beginner, you can make it. For experienced, it was pretty easy. Nothing too steep at all. Very gradual. And before you know it, you turn a corner and see the fire lookout station.

I take a lot of pictures so going up it took about 2.5 hours. Coming down was 1.5 hours.

Favorite so far. Go to the fire lookout and sign the logbook!!

Great hike. Not many on the trail. The weather was in the 70's and the views from the lookout where beautiful. Could see from Salton Sea to Catalina island.

Fantastic hike. Started at Humber Park about 8:30 and was at the fire lookout on Tahquitz Peak by about 10:30. The first 2 miles are switchbacks with a steady uphill grade, but leaving early meant I was in shade the entire way up. Once up to Saddle Junction, take the trail to the right and you've got another couple of miles to the Peak. Most of this stretch is easy hiking with gentle up and downs. The last 1/2 mile or so is steep up the side of the granite peak. The view at the top was incredible, especially on a day with Santa Ana winds - seems like you could see forever. There were a couple of volunteers in the look out, and they were more than happy to let me up there to take a look around and sign the visitor's log. The trip back down was a breeze, all down hill.
Overall, a great hike with plenty of tree cover so lots of shade. Also, hike on a weekday if you can swing it - I went on a Friday and saw nobody on the way up and only a few people on the way back down. The volunteer in the fire look out said that I was the first visitor that day, and the day before only 2 hikers had stopped by.
I'll definitely be hiking this trail again.

Incredible hike, so pleasant and then all of a sudden, you're at the top! The lookout tower is awesome, very fun way to check out the scenery. I'd recommend starting early!

This trail is rated as easy, but let me tell you, it is 4 miles of harsh uphill switchbacks. It took us six hours (I had to keep stopping) but it was the best hike I've ever completed:).

My husband and I loved this hike. We were fortunate enough for the lookout to be open when we arrived so we got the grand tour. Beautiful view!