Tahquitz Peak via South Ridge Trail

Tahquitz Peak via South Ridge Trail is a 6.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idyllwild, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Constant incline but rewarding view from the top!

it was cold, windy, raining and amazing

Awesome place with very rewarding views. Went on a Wednesday so it wasn't crowded whatsoever; it was only us and another couple using the trail.
Don't forget to get a self serve permit from the Rangers Station. We took 2.5 liters of water and it was the perfect amount. Take something to eat as well because you will get hungry. We finished in about 4 hours total, taking our sweet time.

great hike. lots of shade. Beautiful views. would like to try going up devils slide and down the ridge trail next time.

Great hike. Tahquitz Peak via Southridge trail. Wanted to summit using the Saddle but permits were used up. The one mile dirt trail can be challenging if you do not have 4 wheel drive. Several major potholes Steep trail. Wide enough. Not really rocky until you get close to the summit. Bring lots of water. Did it in 77 degree weather which is good. Had to stop a lot the last 1/2 mile as the altitude was getting to me. Was thinking that if 10 degrees warmer and sunny, I would have turned around. You just keep pluggin away at the switchbacks and suddenly the tower appears. What a view. Joined the "Ancient and Honerable Order of Squirrels", what an honor...lol The ranger was nice and talked about the 2013 Mountain fire( think it started in Mountain Center) where they had to evacuate.
I would rate this as moderate to difficult. It is a real butt kicker. For me anyway. Harder than suicide rock. Highly recommend, but in below 80 degree weather. Final stats: 7.2 miles roundtrip(3.2 according to ranger station), 2441 ascent, 4:15 total time, with about 1/2 at the top.

Beautiful hike in Idyllwild!! The last mile of the road to the trailhead is unpaved. It's not too bad though since my Corolla was able to crawl to the parking lot (note "crawl" though....). You will need to get a free permit at the ranger station for this hike. This trail definitely is less crowded than starting from Humber Park, which means yay for more solitude! We did encounter a RATTLESNAKE on a bush that was on the side of the trail! It snapped at my dog (he wasn't bitten. Thank goodness!!) and rattled its tail so we quickly backed off to give it its own space. I did see a few dogs running off leash on the trail so it made me really nervous! I think my dog would have been bitten if I wasn't able to pull on his leash quick enough! This trail does require your dog to be on a leash, but of course this is not always being followed by everyone. In any case, enough with the rattlesnake talk. I would just be cautious. The climb to Tahquitz Peak is not too bad until the last mile or so. That's when the switchbacks start and you will feel the steepness. However, the view on this trail is SO SPECTACULAR that if you run out of breath, just turn around and enjoy the gorgeous scenery! I personally like this trail more than going through Devil's Slide from Humber Park. There is a fire lookout when you get to the peak. They are open on weekends so you can go in, sign your name on the registry and chat with the volunteers. The San Jacinto Wilderness is just absolutely stunning! Will definitely do this hike again.

Great hike, I was a bit worried reading the reviews with others saying it was a 4-6 hour hike. Wife, teenage daughters and I finished in under three and a half including a break at the top to eat and enjoy the spectacular views.

Nice uphill with a lot of switchbacks. Overall, a great view all the way to the fire tower. My two daughters (10 and 13) also enjoyed the entire hike.

The view from Tahquitz Peak in the San Jacinto Mountains was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! Read more about it in my blog. https://lovz2hike.com/2016/05/16/tahquitz-peak-via-south-ridge-trail-san-jacinto-mountains-may-15-2016/

Super awesome. I think this is one of my favorite peaks I've summited in socal so far.

a couple things to consider before heading out on this hike.

1. Permit required. You must get it from the rangers station, they are not provided at the trailhead the way they are at many hikes. We ignored the signs to get a permit, and then met a ranger at the peak. He told us that if he had met us lower down the trail, he would have escorted us off the mountain, but since we already sumitted, he would let it slide. The permits are free... i just didn't get one. Stop at the rangers station. you can even pick them up after hours.

2. The forest route road up to the trailhead is pretty rough. I took my front wheel drive wagon up and almost got stuck in loose sand twice, and bottomed out a couple times. But we made it.... but ALL the other vehicles on the road were 4x4 jeeps and trucks.

Other than that, i HIGHLY recommend.

Nice hike. Left early to avoid heat. Hiked with my 10 year old so had to make multiple stops for rest. Last mile the toughest with several switchbacks and a more acute grade. Trail is in good shape. Fantastic views from atop the peak.

Took us about 6 hours round trip but we took our time. Great hike and views !!!

Well , we got about a mile and a half up and got turned around by the ranger. You need a permit for this hike . They are free and you can get them at the ranger station in pine cove .

Great hike for hubby and I.

Great trail

Just did this May 16th and had the wonderful opportunity of being with the first people up after a good snow the previous couple of days. This is a great route to backpack over to San Jacinto because it doesn't put you in the more populated trails to the top. Beautiful views the entire trip and a unique area for manzanita trees. They're the largest here that I have ever seen them.