Lyons Creek Trail

Lyons Creek Trail is a 12.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Pollock Pines, CA that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and backpacking and is accessible from August until August. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Sylvia and Lyons Lakes is a 10 mile out and back trail located near Pollock Pines, California that features a lake. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking.

We did an overnight trip to Lyons Lake. I fully agree with the post Martin made. This trail was pretty easy at first but right before the lake it was really treacherous. Also if you are fine with walking on ALOT of rocks...this trail is for you. Be careful it is easy to twist an ankle especially with a 40lb pack. BUT we felt like it was really worth it at the end when we reached the lake. It was super gorgeous and there was wonderful view.

Gorgeous at the top! Easy to follow trail

Great day trip went to both Sylvia and Lyons Lake! Was a long day hitting both but certainly worth it! Lyons lake is stunning and looked to have couple great camp spots. Wish I would have stayed night or had more time!

We did an overnight backpack to Lyons Lake. The first several miles is pretty but nothing spectacular. Many parts of the trail are composed of billiard-ball sized rocks, and with forty pounds on your back, this continual climb is no easy feat... especially the last steep half-mile up to Lyons Lake. But once there the view is more dramatic. The lake sits in a granite bowl with groves on either end making for nice campsites. Lovely solitude. Fun morning hike up to ridge at the far end to view the snowmelt feeding the lake. Strenuous, but exhilarating.

Fun

Great hike! Watch out for black bears.

Trail head was easy to find and there were about a dozen cars in the parking lot. If you're going up to Lake Sylvia you're going to enter Desolation Wilderness, and are supposed to have a permit (there's a sign posted). I had actually gotten mine online so was good to go. This was an enjoyable afternoon!

Fun easy hike

Really great hike!! We so enjoyed the peace and quiet. There are a few rough areas of climbing rocks. Gorgeous scenery! We enjoyed our overnight by Sylvia Lake and fishing. Lots of mosquitos though

Gorgeous hike! Longer day than we expected and the last half mile or so to Lyon Lake is pretty steep and hard work, but it was well worth it! And our husky did great the whole way too. Not a ton of people on the trail either. Loved this hike!

Amazing hike here today with a group of friends. Wild flowers were abundant today all around! We did 1 hour in and turned around. It took us about 3 hours total including a break by the water. Just gorgeous!

Walk through a RAINBOW of wildflowers! We saw Tiger Lily, Columbine, Aster, Lupine, Fire Weed, and Larkspur to name a few. The Heather was also in bloom all around Lyons Lake. I love this hike in late summer because of the "Return to Springtime" feel. Do Not Forget Your Bug Spray. (I tried the Repel "Lemon and Eucalyptus" for the first time and it worked great) Lyons Creek is running and just waiting for you to soak your feet. Plan 3.5 hours to Lyon's Lake at an average hiker's pace. Beautiful escape from the dry, end of summer, heat.

Best hike I've done locally!! The majority of the hike is easy with a few moderate spots. Lots of rocks on certain parts of the trail so our group of 6 had sore ankles. The last part was definitely tough but doable if your used to hiking. We had a first timer with us and her calves froze up, it was a bit much for her. If you have knee issues, bring poles but you'll be fine. The only issue we encountered was lots of bugs on the way back, around 7 pm. Such a beautiful, great hike though!! Can't wait to go back and camp over night!

Beautiful area! Rocky in spots so make sure your ankles have support. Beautiful, vistas and the lake is gorgeous!! Would recommend a towel for the river! And a hand towel you take some of the cold water for cooling off. Enjoy!!

I decided to hike this trail with my two hiking buddy's (my dogs) after reading the reviews by people in all trails. And I am glad I did this was one the easier hikes that still gave me that sense of being deep in the mountains . The creek was moving deep and fast and near the lake there is still a lot of snow to keep it that was for a few more weeks id say . A very nice get away that won't take you all day . Took me a little of two hours to get to the lake . And under two hours to return back !

Hiked it for the first time 6/5/16 and made it 4mi in but lost the trail a few times, finally was to late in the day to continue so headed back to the trail head.
Beautiful scenery, Lyon's Creek was raging, trail is very moist with water running down it and eventually snow drifts hide it.
Will definitely go back later in the season.

Bloodsucker lake overnight was great . Swift and thigh high was the creek crossing

Agree with all the comments. I was isolated from humanity, had a fantastic sunset (but early sundown). The marmots had babies and are quite adorable! They were mannerly too, not getting into my things. The hike is fairly strenuous carrying a backpack due to the end being so steep, but worth every step! I have seen families taking the kids up backpacking, amazing! It was fun for me to climb over the WNW ridge too. You can look down on Smith lake! I wanted to go up this week (June 1, 2016) and was told Wrights Lake Rd was covered in snow drifts still before it intersects with Ice House Road. Check before you go!

The river crossing was deeper than I thought it would be. Had a great day hiking.