Sycamore Mineral Springs Trail

Sycamore Mineral Springs Trail is a 2.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Avila Beach, CA that features hot springs and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round.

hot springs

Sycamore Springs management has posted dozens of signs in the parking lot promising to tow anyone not a guest of the resort. The manager approached me and my hiking group and said he would have us towed. This is outrageous because the trail is in the Coastal Zone and public access cannot be stopped. Until someone protests it to the Coastal Commission, hikers risk being towed.

Nice short hike with some great views. Looking forward to hiking other trails in the area.

it was geting dark and we had to turn back. but the view were nice

Awesome view of the ocean! It's uphill all the way though. Great for beginners.

I started my hike on the south side of the trail, beginning at the parking lot of the Avila Sea Caves. Starting from this end, the hike begins with a steeeeeeeeeep incline up towards the peak of the ridge trail where you can see 360° views of five cities and the surrounding mountains. The trail itself is well maintained and is wide enough to bring a four legged friend off leash.

Somethings to be wary of are the elevation changes that might not be suitable for youngins and elders and the small amount of poison oak on the north side of ridge.

Overall, this was a nice hike with nice challenging climbs/descents and well shaded relaxing areas as well. I'd recommend it if you're in the area!

great workout great view

Steep hike. Beautiful views of Avila Beach.

We parked at the lodge and hiked up from that side (we asked someone who worked there who advised us to park at the end dirt lot). It's a pretty steep climb, but short and mostly shady with a nice breeze! Don't forget to look for the swing once you get to the top coastal view.. It's to the left under a big tree. It's a pretty magical spot, especially if you're lucky enough to get a a little privacy. I would definitely visit again!

Love the view, and the swings a nice break

Great workout for your butt! Iffy on parking when starting the hike. Mostly uphill, very beautiful especially at the top of the mountain.

If you want a harder hike, take the dirt road a little more than halfway up to the right. It goes to a steep trail on the left that goes to the top of the highest hill with the best views from Ontario Ridge.

I really enjoyed going on the Sycamore Crest Trail today. This beautiful trail in Avila Beach starts behind the Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort. Climbing up a wide trail for about a mile I encountered lovely trees that made me feel like I was in an enchanted forest. There's even a bench to sit on about a half mile up the trail. Even though the sign said the trail is rated intermediate I found it to be challenging because it was a mile straight uphill but easy compared to Bishop Peak for example. Once you reach the top you are greeted with a stunning and rewarding view of Avila Beach and Pismo beach. This trail also connects to Ontario Ridge, which I have also done in the past but I chose not to continue to on this hike. This trail is about 2 miles total, or 3 if you go to the right once you reach the top as opposed to the left (I went both ways for a challenge because the true summit goes up a steep hill to the right even though everyone goes up to the tower at the left). After going to the right and then to the left to the tower I headed back down. It's actually pretty hard on the knees if you have weak knees but definitely worth it due to the ocean views and sycamore trees!

So this trail primarily sucks. you get to the top pretty quickly.The views are outstanding.As i can see my favorite fishing spot. This trail should be done a couple times in a row to get good strength and lungs warmed up for a better longer.

Great short hike. Definitely worked the legs going up. Very peaceful. Great view of pirates cove once you make it to the top.