Switzer Falls via Gabrielino Trail

Switzer Falls via Gabrielino Trail is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mount Wilson, CA that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is a relatively easy hike into one of the loveliest sections of the San Gabriel mountains. The hike meanders back and across the stream running down the spectacular Arroyo Seco Canyon. The stream is lined with oaks and alder, with the water cascading over granite into mirror-like pools. The hike travels high above the 50 foot high Switzer falls, then drops back to the stream, where hikers can double back to stand at the base of the falls. After seeing the falls, travel down stream to the intersection with Bear Canyon, and travel up this spectacularly wild, steep walled canyon for another half mile or so to enjoy its wonders. More adventuresome hikes can continue up Bear Canyon for 2 miles to Bear Camp.

My wife and I did this hike yesterday and we were really impressed. Gorgeous walk through a shaded canyon that follows a stream. The Gabrielino trail then climbs and you ascend above the tree lines to massively panoramic vistas of the mountains before dipping back down again to a juncture that can take you toward Bear Canyon or back up the stream to Switzer Falls and then back to the initial picnic area. Will be back numerous times no doubt.

Not a bad hike, just a lot more rocks than expected. Plenty of shade so if you go on a cold day, wear the right clothing.

Heavily trafficked; less water than other nearby streams. Pretty trail

My hubby and I took our 4 kids (ages 8,9,11, and 12). The majority of the hike is easy with a few fun places to cross the small stream and lots of great places for the kids to explore. However, things change pretty drastically when you get to the area with the switchbacks. You will come across a few steeper inclines and some narrow trail that is on the side of cliffs. It was a little tough for our crew, but we persevered! After the "tough" part of the hike, we were disappointed with the trickle of a waterfall. Even with the drought, we hoped that going a couple of days after it rained, there would have been more water. The shaded walk through the oaks is truly beautiful though. I just don't think it should be listed as an "easy" trail, and some parts are not "kids friendly" (especially with little ones).

Shady, beautiful outdoor hike on a sunny day

This was my very first hike in LA, and it continues to be one of my favorites.

Beautiful place to hike,lots of shade , but....stay away from the restrooms they are dirty and that smell it will kill you

Nice hike. Had a 9,10,& 14 year old in tow and they did great. Lot's of little creek crossings and shade. Some of the trail along the cliffs were a little nerve wracking with the kids but other than that it was great. Not much of a waterfall today.

Correction on my directions. At the fork, take the switchbacks on the right! This will take you to the lower falls.

Great hike. No too long. Lots of rocks in the path though and lots of creek crossing. When you get to the fork in the path, take the left with the switchbacks. This goes up quite a ways and the path does get very narrow with a drop off on one side. If I had small kids with me I would have been a bit nervous, but lots of other parents weren't. Eventually the path descends back down into the shady trees and you will find the falls. Not much more than a trickle in July however. Overall still a nice hike.

Great hike, my son and I went and had a good time!

Crowded, flat, and not really a waterfall anymore due to drought. It is 90% shade though...

Great hike..

Great hike! I went hiking with the whole family. My pregnant wife was a trooper and my 7 and 4 year old made the entire trek.