Sweetwater Trail

Sweetwater Trail is a 5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near El Dorado Hills, CA that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

This is a nice moderate hiking trail with some short up and downs and one small creek. There are a few rocks in the path but nothing difficult. Bikers use this trail as well. The overall length is about 6 miles round trip but I only drew about two miles on the map. The hike comes out on Salmon falls road, about a mile south of the American River bridge. There is a small parking area there, so you can start on the end opposite the bridge if you would like. Also, if you cross Sweetwater creek at the end of the trail, and then forge your way across the lake bed (that is usually dry in the summer) you will find a paved parking area. It is probably only 1/4 mile from the end of Sweetwater. This is another Folsom Lake recreation area, but is much less known and used than the one at the bridge. At one end of the parking lot is a hiking only trail. Watch out for Poison Oak!

Short, pretty hike. Lots of small ups and downs, but easy. We walked along the river on the way back.

This is a nice hike if you don't want to drive too far from Sacramento. Lots to see along the way. If you veer off toward the water you come upon an old bridge and footings from 1918. We took a nice dip in the river and a bald eagle flew right over us!

Fun little hike. The water was low which exposed the bridge so we were able to do the loop all the way around. No rattlesnakes spotted :)

Good for exercise and not too hard. Has a small creek that you have to hop over at the start. Not much when I was there but I was there at one of the detest times of the year. Not sure what it would be like earlier in the year. Has a lot of shade so nice for hot days.

where I fish love this place

The water was nice and calm. Not a lot of people. Hike wasn't that difficult. Didn't see or hear ANY rattlesnakes and we even had a dog with us and a hater of snakes.

Did the whole in and out. pretty nice quiet hike on a Monday. Free parking on the road a short way away.

One of the best trails around the area. Great views to the river. Shaded, kids friendly. Very quiet, not many people. We didn't see any rattlesnakes.

Very narrow trail but is not so hard for beginners. This is for adventure seekers who are ok with rattle snakes. its shaded all thru. Different experience.

It's was a beautiful hike!! Word of advice we came upon a huge rattlesnake right on the trail about a mile in. That time of year

I love this trail in the spring time. I have taken my dogs on the trail in the past and they have no problem. I would recommend this trail for someone who is not new to hiking though. It can be a good work out should you do the entire trail

Just the right amount of ups and downs for a moderate workout. Good trail.

Just hiked it this morning, nice bathrooms at beginning of trail, and the trail itself is quiet and nice the whole way. Few people out there in the AM, was a good experience.

The trail was beautiful and had inclines. Just the right amount for hiking. There was a little bit of poison oak but nothing that stops you from the hike. The trail is obviously well maintained. My wife did see a snake (probably a lizard) and jumped so high! It was a priceless moment as she usually so in control!! We will definitely be back!

Nice well maintained trail with lots of shade. Nice views of what little water is in the lake. But I have never seen so much poison oak on one trail. I told my partners that I would skip this if they do it again. The poison oak was so abundant I spent the entire hike focused on avoiding it rather than enjoying the hike. It would also help if I wasn't so allergic to it!

Trail is great no one was there of course did go during the week .If you want to go near the river there are places to exit the trail and go to the river . just remember where you exited because it's a pain to get back to the trail . Also watch out for poison oak near the trail it is starting to grow near it .

Great trail. Pay for the parking- it helps with the park up keep. If you want to walk by the river, take the first trail fork to the right and take the walk on the outbound. I made the mistake of walking the the horse/bike trail along the river on the way back and the trail abruptly ended and I had to pick my way through and try to find the connection back on the main trail. Saw lots of geese and heard lots of wildlife rumblings in the underbrush. Was a good day.