Susie and Heather Lakes

Susie and Heather Lakes is a 11.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near South Lake Tahoe, CA that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and backpacking and is accessible from April until September.

11.6 miles 2067 feet Out & Back

Susie and heather lakes (Lake Tahoe) is a 10.6 mile out and back trail located near Lake tahoe, California. The trail is only recommended for very experienced outdoorsmen.

Amazing views. You can see everything from the lakes, to the surrounding mountains and peaks in the distance, a couple falls here and there, and the altitude. Can't miss the altitude. We went off trail a bit and went to the peak of one of the mountains, climbing over landslides just to get to it, but it was well worth it.

Beautiful lakes and a great hike in from the Glen Alpine Trailhead. We walked the trail all the way to Aloha, hoping to get to Jack's Peak. The Peak was too steep from this approach, but the hike to Aloha and back was beautiful. Here's the full recap.

Excellent hike with a variety of terrain including shaded sections, wild flowers, stream crossings, water fall views and some panorama views. The elevation grade is gradual and not too tough. Susie lake is good sized in a stunning setting. Only drawback is the first half mile or so of the trail is very rocky and and fair portion of the trail after that is also rocky (so wear appropriate footwear and consider using hiking poles). Took us four hours round trip to Susie Lake. Get an early start to ensure a parking spot at the trailhead and to avoid the summer heat. Excellent hike!

I pushed pass Heather to Lake Aloha, made for a long hard hike but worth it.

It was challenging. I was expecting to run it but I hiked a lot. Very rough terrain ... But the views are wonderful. It is worth the 4-5 miles climb.

We started from Glen Alpine TH, started out gentle but rocky & passed some historical buildings & springs.Great views of Grass Lake from ridge above Susie.Nice creek runs down from outlet.

Hiked this trail this last May up the PCT at Lake Aloha where I sent the night. The next day I hiked down to Echo Lakes for my pick. First solo hike of this kind in my life at age 52 and first overnighter in 15+ years. I will do more the next time we go to Tahoe.

One of my favorite parts of this section of Desolation Wilderness trails. I've been to Heather and Suzie twice, both times hiking Echo Lake to either Dick's Lake or Middle Velma. Lunch and swim on the east shore of Suzie. Nice little granite up over from Aloha past Lake LeConte and down along Heather's rocky face, watch your foooting in the loose gravelly stuff.

This was a tough hike overall, but with beautiful views. The first/last mile were brutal for some walking over cobbles, giving way to a nice trail with lots of climb. On the day we went the wind was raging, so we didn't hang out at lake Susie too long, heading back pretty quickly. I would like to explore other trails off Glen Alpine, but I may have ruined my partners for this area :-)