Surprise Canyon Trail

Surprise Canyon Trail is a 10.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Death Valley, CA that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Let me start with this. This is one of my favorite places to come. I'm a person that loves beauty and seclusion. That's what you get with this hike. It starts with a 6-8 hour hike up to panamint. Did I mention it's all up hill :) well kept area. Nice in the cabins but honestly I stay in the cabins everytime and I've had no problems. Love this place. If you truly want a great weekend away from the city's this is the place

Wow. Amazing hike to a cool place. This backpack trip is 6 miles in with 4,000 ft elevation gain to an abandoned silver mining town complete with 19th and 20th century mines, abandoned cabins, and year-round water.

The hike is a 4 out of 5 for booty kicking. It starts at 2,500 feet at Chris Wicht Camp on Surprise Valley Road. Follow the signs to Ballarat, turn left through the old city of Ballarat and follow the sign to Surprise Valley Road. The road is definitely high clearance though my friend brought his Camry safely to the trailhead.

The trail winds up the canyon with a couple easily-navigated waterfalls. Part of the toughness is, however, the winding back and forth over the creek, through the creek, up the sides of the canyon. After about 3.5 miles, however, you break out into the upper canyon where the trail is flat, dry and relatively straight. The smelter stack comes into view at 5 miles and the main cabin, "The Holiday Inn" is a 6 miles.

Lots of people lovingly use this place and some cabins are equipped nicer than others. The Holiday Inn has a nice fireplace and chairs to hang in. It was 37 degrees when I was there, so we kept the fire going in the evenings.

The area is filled with old mines, equipment discarded cars, and one cabin that was reputed to be the brothel. There are even petroglyphs under a rock that you can spy from the Hilton.

There is a water spigot that works in the welding shop in front of the hilton. It's orange. If that's not working, there year round water in the canyon up and to the left above the Hiltons.

There are mice in the cabins, so most people camp outside. I found a nice spot up the hill under some lovely pinon pines.

I thought I'd be bored on my slack day in between, but I wasn't. There are both modern and old mines to explore at your own risk. The one above the green crusher is straight, clean, and leads back 1/4 mile before deadending.