Sunset Trail to Laguna Meadows Loop

Sunset Trail to Laguna Meadows Loop is a 8.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mt Laguna, CA that features a lake. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking, walking, and snowshoeing. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Fun, relaxing hike. Know the route before heading out. Signage is marked with numbers which mean nothing without a map. Saw one sign stating a trail name the whole 8 miles, plenty of markers though. Was windy and chilly. Bundle up :)

Had so much fun!

Nice scenic trail, but very busy with bikes.

Saturday, May 21, 2016 I hike this trail with my great hiking friends, we had a small group but we had a great hike up to Manza Peak Benchmark! The start of the hike was very cold and stayed through to the peak! The wind was howling loud!! It was a rough & tough hike to the peak which required some bushwhacking & cairns markers to make our way through! The hike was well worth it! The view is breathtaking and the best of it all, signing the official Manza Peak Benchmark peak log! Approximately 2.43 miles to the peak. Afterwards, we hiked the Laguna Meadows & world famous, Pacific Crest Trail to get the most mileage of the hike!

This was an amazing hike with all the views to the west. Hiking through the tall pnes and stop on big rocks for snack breaks makes it an even better chill spot.

One of my favorite short loop hikes in San Diego! Have done this short hike many, many times.

Great hike. Pretty easy as there isn't much elevation gain. Saw 4 people total on the entire hike. It's looking very green right now so take advantage!

legit. great meadow views as well as Sweetin westerly views in a couple places. easy trail but great experience

Great trail. Well marked and beautiful terrain. Only saw about 20 people the whole hike. My only complaint is that it was a little too easy, no real elevation changes.

I wish this was closer to the city. I wish it snowed more often. I wish I was there right now.
I love this trail because I love hearing the sound of the wind in the trees, bird songs, and trail under my boots. It's flat and fairly open with shade just off the path. I've only been there on the weekends and have only seen a handful of people. I recommend going in Winter and Spring when it's greener than it's gold.

Beautiful, there's also some cows

Our first adventure and it was amazing. Easy terrain and lots of nature to take in!

Beautiful. Lots of amazing plant species and spectacular panoramic views.

Beautiful meadows, I didn't hike the whole thing but I loved it!! Absolutely gorgeous.

Mileage & elevation are incorrect - actually 5.3 miles, 289 ft elevation gain. Nice easy stroll.

Loved this hike! Since this is located in the Cleveland National Forest. There is a fee to hike here, as others have mentioned. It is a $5 parking fee. You can also stop at a ranger station (we used Alpine's) and get an adventure pass, which costs more, but alleviates the costs for fees in the National Parks in CA for a year. We picked up the America the Beautiful pass (normally $80, but free for Active Duty military). It is good for ALL US National Parks, Forests, and Monuments. We were able to park in the National Forest for free.

Simply look for a deck like area on your right with some port-o-potties. On your left just up ahead will be a cattle fence area and a kiosk with information about the trails. You will walk over the cattle walk/through the gate area. The trail splits into two. Sunset goes to the left of the fork.

The hike was beautiful. We just got snow recently, but we were expecting most of it to be gone. The trail was VERY muddy, still snow covered in the shaded areas, and in a large portion of the back park of the hill it was icy. We had to take our time and be VERY careful. One wrong move and you can tumble down very steep hills. The Water in the Woods was beautiful! Especially, since it was iced over. Despite the mud and ice, we had a wonderful time. There was only maybe 4 people using the trail system the entire time we were out there. We brought our 2 Australian Cattle Dogs who had an absolute BLAST.
We did not complete the full trail, since we got out there a little late and fell behind schedule wise with the ice and mud. We simply continued by the Water in the Woods and jumped on the trail sign leading to Sunrise Highway, which takes you back through the woods and gets you on the connection trail to Big Laguna and Noble, but doesn't take you that far out. Just pay attention to signs if you aren't interested in doing the full trail. My husband said we did about 4 miles with the way we took, which was plenty good enough for me.

Definitely recommend this beautiful trail! Also will attach a link to the National Forest Service page for the hike, so you can check on the status of the trail (open or closed).

Muy bonito sendero lleno de hermosos paisajes, lugar para toda la familia.