Sunset Peak Trail

Sunset Peak Trail is a 25 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near San Dimas, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

No good

It was really easy in the beginning to get all the way to the top. But I made it difficult coming down. I took the of trail that goes all away down on top of the fire road.if you want to make a difficult and hard so do that trail coming down.

Great long hike with a steady incline. Beautiful view of San Gabriel Valley.

For a more challenging route to Sunset Peak than the one depicted here, drive north on San Dimas Canyon Rd and park near the small structure by the dam. Directly east, hidden behind a short line of highway dividers is a trailhead for the Sunset Ridge Truck Trail. It's a 25-mile out and back to Sunset Peak with some nice views along the way. The trail takes you along the ridge above Claremont Hills and Potato Mountain, past the cluster of antennae atop the ridge, and then north to the peak. You can see the truck trail on the All Trails map--it is shown as a continuation of the Sunset Peak Trail. For runners, the vast majority of the 25 miles is runnable, with a couple short sections that you might want to hike. 4.5-5 hours to run this route. Cumulative elevation gain in the first 12.5 miles of the run is probably around 4600 feet.

This is an easy hike with a wide road, there are some spots that the road is so packed with rocks it's a little difficult to walk on. Walking this trail to see the sunset was one of the better ideas I've had and it is absolutely breathtaking. I spent the sunset laying on the metal rain catcher at the end waiting for the stars to come out. Moments like this is what I live for.

The fire road route on the AllTrails map (shown above in red) doesn't go all the way to Sunset Peak. To get there, you must continue northeast at the junction where the route on the map ends. Furthermore, the AllTrails map doesn't show the "Sunset Peak Shortcut," which begins a few meters northeast of the fire road trailhead on Glendora Ridge RD. It is difficult and rugged but should be added to the AllTrails map, so people don't get confused (it's shown on the US Parks map, though).

the trail has a lot of loose stones, as you climb and get to the vehicle road - I m thinking the forest department uses a grading tracker to clear road - it was like riding in sand.
I'd say this may be a good hiking trail - for a mountain bike - wasn't a good ride at all.

This was a great workout of a hike and is fairly steep the entire way. There are a lot of mountain bikers coming down the switchbacks that you need to keep an eye out for! The view at the top is amazing and you can see the skyline of LA from the peak.

It was snowing lightly when we went up so we didn't get to see the sunset but the snow in he trees made this hike beautiful. Perfect easy hike

Road closed at my badly and Glendora ridge

Free to park on Glendora Ridge Road, I'd say the trail was at least 50% shade with a wide dirt path and a very easy incline. Only saw one person on the hike, lots of bugs/flies and lizards but quite peaceful

I was looking for an easy hike because I hurt my shin on a run. This was perfect to get any easy walk out in the woods.

this is a great trail to hike with a gradual ascent. it is rocky so be aware of your footing at all times. when you get to the top and you feel like going further there is more trails you can hike. lizards, Bob whites, hummingbirds, butterflies and birds unknown to me were observed.
according to the ranger I talked with you do not need to register for this bike or pay for a park pass.

Nice trail with amazing views, and it definitely lives up to the name as we hiked right before/at sunset. BEWARE: though this is standard operating procedure when being out in nature, we ABSOLUTELY heard a very deep growl right at the 1.5mile mark seemingly coming from a stand of trees down the hill to the left. Bear or cougar, who knows... That and the waning sunlight helped our decision to head back to the trailhead promptly. Would definitely go again, but definitely with protection from wild beasts.

We did this hike on November 2014 with our Boy Scout Troop as part of our Mini Peak Bagger program. Great hike for beginners, and there is even a geocache near the top! The whole trail is very wide, however you must share it with mountain bikes so do be careful.

On the way up we went up the fire break, which adds a bit of excitement to the hike.