Sunken City

Sunken City is a 2.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near San Pedro, CA and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round.

The view is breathtaking

pretty cool place to go and explore. super easy to get to. firefighters were training and repelling down one of the cliff sides while we were there. entered from where the park is. was able to find a semi easy way climb down to the water.

So beautiful has a park nice stop if your close.

Finally made my way to Sunken City in San Pedro. Easy Parking and great site views. There are 4 ways to enter... the hole that is near the park and it's a big hole to go under. I wasn't sure from the pictures if I was gonna have to get dirty going under. I am a bigger girl, so all I had to do was grouch down and walk through. The same place where you go under the gate, you can actually walk to the edge of the fence and just walk around. I seen that after the fact. And despite some of the stuff I did end up reading, the edge of the fence or going under are no dangerous or hard. We brought our 8 year old niece, although she did need help with some of the climbs.

You can also enter through the fence, which is a walk through. It's right in front of Carolina street. I made the mistake of following the trial and missed it. But in order to fit through the fence you have to be around 200lbs of less. I saw a lot of people try to pass through who not fit and the only person who did fit from my group was a child. So best to enter at the Point Fermin Park.

Now if like me you missed or didn't read reviews, I didn't fit through the fence and had no idea where the hole under the fence was. So we jumped the fence at the Skate Park. The Fence is only about 4 Feet high and I am over 250 lbs and had no trouble jumping it. So those are the 4 ways to get in.

Parking is free on the streets and at the Park. There are plenty of pics to take, places to eat across the street, a Roach Coach and Ice cream truck at the park if you want a snack afterwards.

I recommend you wear good shoes with good traction. Some of the trial is steep and rocky. Especially if you go down to the water, which we did. Also if you don't have good balance maybe even bring garden gloves. There is a ton of glass everywhere from people not picking up their trash and having all those broken beer bottles everywhere.

So have fun and hope this review helped.

So it was a lot of fun to explore, but sadly very dirty! Once we hiked down the mountain beachside we were bombarded by disgust. All the leftover old Dead Seaweed on the shore with seagulls pooping and eating crab! It smelled like old fish and a lot of gross flies! A lot of lower class roaming around and it feels like people just dump their old belongings over the ledge.. It is beautiful from the top but once you get down its just nasty!

Last hiked summer 2015.

This is a raw bandit trail that my son and I had to fence-hop to access. According to the city, it's illegal to enter SC. But boy, is it worth it! Tons of gorgeous graffiti, slabs of broken asphalt and a view of the ocean that'll take your breath away!

Lots of broken glass and other trash, so wear some good shoes. Keep an eye out for the Jura (police), because they're not big fans of Sunken City explorers.

A romantic hike with my sweetheart and a bottle of red wine with a cheese platter. She loved it. It was even better than Ann planned she brought along her telescope and we were able to see the stars and moon. Brought al

Excellent! So great to check out old roads. Being so close to cliffs was also fantastic. Great place for making out if you are under 16 or yoga selfies if you are brave.

Really really cool path. Lots of artwork and abandoned areas that add a great bit of ambiance to the walk. Some interesting tidepools are also a short walk away.

The area is closed. Definitely not good for children simply because to get around the gate requires scaling down a steep cliff side. Disappointment. Unless there's a safer way to get around the gate.

Very easy trail. Took my 5yo. He loved climbing the rocky path. Great views of the ocean. We walked to the pier after. Probably should have brought some snacks for him.

More of an urban exploring adventure than anything but that doesn't take away from it if you know what you're getting into. You have to precariously hike around the perimeter fence to get to the Sunken City part--on a busy enough day you just have to follow the people to the path but don't worry, it's there.

Some neighbors have rallied to open this up to the public and some have fought it but I imagine it'll continue to be "off limits" because that's just the status quo.

As mentioned before it's not much of a hike, but more of a walk through to see some cool graffiti, over what used to be a city.

To Whom it May Concern, I am a police officer with the LAPD Harbor Division, which includes San Pedro. Currently the area known as "Sunken City" is closed to the public; there is a perimeter fence and no trespassing signs posted to illustrate this fact. We recently did a sweep of the area and cited a large number of people for trespassing. Everyone cited will have to appear in court before and judge and will be facing penalties of up to 6 months in jail or a $1,000.00 fine. Make no mistake about it, if you are caught trespassing in Sunken City by Law Enforcement, you will be cited and or arrested and will then be facing a similar consequence.

It wasn't a "hike" but more like a great photo op that took a lot of careful walking to get to. Lots of dangerous walkways down a cliff where a part of San Pedro broke off after the 1933 Long Beach earthquake. Plenty of Do Not Enter signs that are all graffitied or stickered over. Definitely a party spot for the youth as seen by the plethora of beer and liquor bottles and blunt wraps littering the area.