Summit Trail

Summit Trail is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Danville, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Parking is available off of S. Gate Rd.

Got 1 star for the scenery. The hike to the fall was too far for beginners like myself. This was not made for me.

Fun and beautiful

First time here and I really enjoyed it. There are many trails so I will be going back. Family friendly but remember no pets on trails! made that mistake the first time so we had to leave but glad we returned great sights.

I did this hike back in April and had a great time on it. It was a perfect East Bay spring day of about 84 degrees. I was with my two good buddies Andrew and Miki (we rented a Relay Rides car to make the trip).

Before we started hiking, I was concerned that Andrew was packing too much water (he brought a whole gallon). However, he stood his ground and brought the whole jug. It's a good thing he did because I underestimated the amount of water we'd need. It wasn't a scorching day but I definitely went through my 2 liter camelbak pretty quickly. Andrew was there to back us up with water.

We ended up hitting all the summits and offroading a bit on the way down (walking off trail). I enjoyed the freedom that came from going away from the known trail and rock jumping and sliding our way down. Andrew got a bit of poison oak on him but it was worth it.

We ended the trail happy and tired and had to walk through the lush (then) green fields from the eastern park of the range to where our car was parked at the park entrance.

It was a beautiful adventurous day with some great views and I can say that I thoroughly recommend the hike. Bring enough water!

First off, allow me to explain that when I started this hike I was doing so under a certain time limit. 3 weeks prior, I had hyper-extended my left knee during a trail run. I did not think it would bother me at all, but halfway through the hike, on the continuous incline to the summit, my knee started to irritate me. The summit was beautiful and the day hike I would gladly do again. However, I would suggest doing on a less busier day. I went on memorial day, and as suspected, quite a few number of other hikers, mountain cyclists, etc. The hike back down is what did a number on my knee - swelled up to the size of a softball by the time I returned back to Rock City. An excellent hike to help condition you for greater treks!