Sulphur Pots Camp

Sulphur Pots Camp is a 7.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near San Luis Obispo, CA that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and camping and is accessible year-round.

This is a great hike, especially for a quick night away from home. Sulphur pots is a small camp with fire-pit and limited space. Parking is at the big falls trail head. The most note worthy detail about this trail is that you will get wet, crossing the creek/river 50 times each way. WARNING: This is not a good choice during bad/wet weather. The creek fills up very quickly and becomes a river which can reach 5-6 feet in depth overnight! Difficulty can be from easy to moderate depending on the season and recent weather activity.

1 hour ago

Started this hike at Mt Lowe trailhead. The hike to the East Cuesta portal was pretty windy with the usual mtn bike traffic up to that point. Descending the trail was slightly steep with a lot of storm damage I.E. several trees blocking the trail and some over growth. Very little poison oak currently. There was a bear in the area. Apparently this trail isn't traveled much, at least this time of the year. We observed no trash nor human tracks the entire way. Lots of deep leaves coverage on the trail. Watch your step! The creek is running at an easy rate. As we got to the valley floor we were treated to lots of mushrooms and some flowers. Crossing the creek was easy. Here there is little poison oak, but use caution as there is a wee bit. We backtracked out of this beautiful valley to the trail portal with moderate wind in the expected places. Parts of the trail are narrow with steep drop offs, so use extra caution. The Mt Lowe rd was super windy and chilly. A good base layer makes for a comfortable trek in and out this time of the year. I do recommend taking gloves and a medium jacket or light coat that might pack easily in your rig. The short days make for a quick drop in temperature in that valley. The morning temp was 42 at the top with an added wind chill. Overall an awesome day. There was zero traffic on the trail the entire day.

The hike is moderate. Sedan cars aren't sufficient enough for the road leading to the trail. We were lucky we were in a truck. Hike is beautiful! We went mid July 2016 and the big waterfall was dried up. Great experience

I hiked from the Rinconada Loop trailhead to Cuesta at the end of May 2016. The trail is there, but it's overgrown in a couple of spots. Be ready for some wet feet.

We started our trip at the top of the cuesta grade on the 101. The first four miles was on a fire road, flat wide trail but very steep. we gained 1000 feet in 4 miles. At the trail head the trail starts to drop down into the canyon the poison oak starts and gets worse starts worse the next 4 miles to sulphur pots. There was plenty of water. If you can put up with the poison oak I suggest this hike. if you hike through to the big falls trail head it is about 12 miles.

Beautiful canyon. I hiked from Hwy 101 thru to Big Falls Creek. The trail was tricky between Upper Lopez Camp and about 2 miles NW of Big Falls. Lots of poison oak but was able to keep my feet dry most of the way.

Great trail! Sometimes the trail was tough to see, follow the red plastic ties. Actual distance is I out back round trip! You van also take it all the way to cuesta! Can't wait to try it!

Wish I would have read the reviews before the drive out there. I was unable to make it do to the creek running through the road. Will go back in a 4x4 soon

Amazing drive out there! Very beautiful, great views... but three miles from the trail head a stream cut through the road -- not passable in my Hyundai Elantra. We'll try going going back in something with more clearance.

I've done this trip twice so far, both were for an overnight camping. I will say I'm taking a guess at the 4.4 miles, seemed like a good guess but GPS doesn't get a signal due to the canyon.

1st time was a true adventure, was raining the whole time and the river filled up over the night and had quite the time getting out (long story)...

2nd time I took my wife and it was really nice out. She doesn't hike as much as I do but is in pretty good shape and did a good job.
As the description says, you have to cross the creek 50 times going in so expect to get a little wet year around, pack some extra socks/shoes.
The campsite is pretty small but fairly cleared out with a nice little fire pit. Also has a above ground toilet with a fence between the camp and the toilet (half a outhouse?) but very nice for the girls who don't like going in the bushes.
Fun little trip if you need a quick get away close to home or are in the area for the weekend!