Sugarloaf Mountain Trail

Sugarloaf Mountain Trail is a 9.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Big Bear City, CA that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Park by the signs at the trail head. Be sure to display your San Bernardino Adventure Pass. Go here for more info; http://www.bigbear.us/adventurepass.html

I have done this trail a few time, litteraly right outside my backdoor. It is a great hike to get away from people and spend some time outdoors, you get a lot of views along the way, a couple of glpses of the Bear Valley and one good place to view San Gorgonio peak. the trail is cobble and loose at time so wear good boots with ankle supports. two small streams seem to flow year round but I would suggest packing in your water take about 3 liters. 95% of the trail is shaded and there is a false summit, you think you have hit the top then suddenly you realize you have another 1/2 mile and 600 feet to go. Not a destination hike, unless your local, but if your in the area it is a nice hike. if your goal is to get good views of the Bear Valley and Bear Lake hike the Gouger Crest Trail on the north shore.

What a great trial. This was my first big peak topping out at 9952'. The small area to park at Green Canyon was full so I drove beyond and around to Wildhorse area. My hike was a a total of 8.8 roundtrip. I guess I saved a couple miles over the standard hike. Loved all the trees and there are plenty of points you can step out to and get a great view.

very rocky, at least four to five died trees blocking the path, need to pay attention, at times you can lose the trail, took me about 3 hours to reach the top. under two on the way down.

3rd time hiking it, good for altitude and steep ability check

I loved it. The trail is very rocky, but good for exercise.

If you start at the trailhead for Sugarloaf off 2N93, it's actually a bit over 12 miles. There's parking, but not much. Get there early if you don't want to add an extra mile and a half just to get to the trailhead. The magnitude of loose rocks on this hike is what makes it difficult. If you have trekking poles, bring them. I didn't have any troubles keeping track of the trail the whole time, you do need to pay attention in a few sections, but it's fairly well marked. It's a great workout with nice views on the way up.

Not much of a view at the actual peak, but quite a view of San Gorgonio on the way up. The trail starts in a nice green area up until past Green Spring then it becomes a very open alpine trail with lots of shale rock crunching beneath your every step. Do not underestimate this hike, it is strenuous during summer and has almost constant elevation gain.

Good hike in terms of workout, the first 3/5 of the hike is completely uphill but after that you get some flat areas. Not very scenic and there were way too many loose rocks throughout the entire trail, a little hard on your feet and it makes it easier to twist an ankle. Personally don't know if I would recommend this hike.

Very tough, Hot in the summer but covered so some shade is provided. Watch out for bugs. Also lost the trail a few times since OHVs drive all over the area. They cut new trails which is mitigated by forest service blocking roads with rocks and logs as best as they could. A very good hike with decent views at the end. Also a geocache up there and a place for people to leave neat stuff in books.

hiked on 3-15-14

this can be a rough trail if snow is still on the ground. i was the only person in my group to make it to the peak because of the snow. its all up hill then all down hill. rocks and gravel the entire time.

Took the advice from a reviewer and would concur that starting in the morning is a good idea. Took me 2:15 to get up at a moderate pace, 1:30 to get down with some light jogging in some parts. If you're looking for beautiful forest, this is the trail for you. The trail is mostly uphill and loose rocks. A great distance with substantial elevation gain makes it a good challenge. I'll do it again, very beautiful.

Went up this morning on a beautiful chilly morning. It gets steep in some places but is very worthwhile for the views on the way. Made it to the peak in 4.85 miles. There are 2 punches up there and a tsunami warning sign. My elevation reading was 9922' but the sign says 9952'. Overall I had a great time.

Best hike in Big Bear Lake California. Here is a link to a trail map plus the photos we took on our hike; http://www.bigbear.us/hiking_sugarloafphotos.html.

The trail is moderately difficult. We recommend starting in the morning. Remeber to hydrate. The trail starts at around 7,000 feet and climbs to 9,400 feet.