Sugar Bowl Loop Trail

Sugar Bowl Loop Trail is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Kings Canyon National Park, CA that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until October.

The plan was to hike the Hart Tree part of the Redwood Canyon trail but upon arriving we were greeted by one of the parks firefighters who explained to us the prescribed burn currently taking place in the canyon. Although the Hart Tree trail was closed we were able to hike the Sugar Bowl trail as an out and back hike. Giant Sequoias greet you almost immediately once you start off lining the trail sporadically until you reach the top part of the ridge were you come across some rad groves. Smoke from the prescribed burn was rising from the canyon but really just added to adventure of being on the trail. After hiking down into the canyon we met up with the fire crew who kindly explained to us the purpose and benefits of the prescribed burns. We headed out the way we came stopping to have lunch amongst the giants before making our way back to the trailhead. Since it was an out and back hike the trip ended up at roughly 9 miles with easy to moderate climbs going both ways. Redwood Canyon is one of my favorite day hike destinations and I’m looking forward to checking out the effects of the prescribed burn in the future.

This is one of the first trails my family and I hiked. The trail is moderate in terms of difficultly. The scenery is awesome with an orchard of sequoias at the turn around point of the loop. The trail has lots of shade making the hike bearable in the heat. Other trails in our family's future will be hard to beat!