Sugar Pine Mountain Trail

Sugar Pine Mountain Trail is a 6.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Meadow Vista, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A nice little hike in town, it's short and easy. Dog friendly. Opens up to a nice top of a hill, great for a picnic or relaxing. I go up here several times a month.

Great challenging run.

Beautiful area but the path parallels roads, streets and homes most of the way. Definitely not a get away from civilization. The elevation gain appears to exceed the hundred feet as indicated in the description.

no doubt we all have our own opinions and tastes when it comes to hiking/walking trails. my husband and i are always searching for new trails, being that we've done h hundreds all over the states and our surrounding counties near the Sierras.we live in a beautiful area to have many variety of trails. due to snow and cooler winters, we embrace the lower elevation to take advantage of being out doors moving. so if getting out and enjoying the outdoors, it's a great trail! i it has constant rolling hills, some switch backs that are short and steep which gives for a nice workout. you occasionally pass along the fence lines of some homes but never did we see a dog that wasn't behind their own fence.in fact they were quite excited to meetour pup through the fence, of course i can't speak for any dogs that were inside for the day. there were plenty of areas you felt you were still out in the woods. it beats walking on sidewalks or blacktop through neighborhoods and traffic, so these folks homes you walk past, they are quite aware of the trail and would not have p purchased their homes if they w were annoyed. we encountered only a few people on trail, few sources of water for dogs along the way in January but can't guarantee in summer! i would never choose to do this on a warm day! if you do, go counter clockwise to do switchbacks in the shade! overall, i enjoyed myself and I'm sure will to it at least once every winter!

WHY DONT THEY OFFER UP HORSES AS A ACTIVITY ON THIS SITE???????????????? THIS TRAIL IS MULTIPLE USE????????
SUGAR PINE MOUNTIAN TRAIL…" AS A HORSE TRAIL" I LOVE IT!! GREAT FOR TRAINING A YOUNGSTER YOU HAVE A LOT GOING ON ..
TRAIN THERE AND YOU WILL HAVE A FINISHED NICE TRAIL HORSE!!!
YOU DO NOT AT ANY TIME GO IN AND OUT OF HOMES ETC.. THERE ARE HOMES ON EITHER SIDE ON" A FEW PLACES" BUT THEY ARE ALL COUNTRY LARGE LOVELY HOMES AND NOTHING DISTASTEFUL..
I have "RIDDEN" my horses on that property for years before it became the Winchester Estates.. Placer County took the perimeter of the property as a designated HORSES / HIKING / BIKING TRAIL.. NOT really good for fast racing use..
I so far have not had any problems with the bikes.. the hikers are so nice.. WITH MY HORSES.. (-:
I stopped riding a few years ago … now riding again……..My Arabian .mare .is now on trail again.. learning what trails are about.. its my favorite place to teach and just have a pleasurable ride with her..
They have improved the steeper trails up the back side.. few rock steps to keep the trail smoother and from washing out … but the horses can manuvor them just fine!
All the trees are cut back enough to make safe passage for horses.. some old barbed wire on fences just keep away and stay on the trail (-:you can do that easily..
I FIND THIS TRAIL TO BE A GREAT TRAIL FOR HORSES ..CHALLENGING BUT GO THERE AND TURN AROUND WHEN YOU SEE YOUR HORSE IS GETTING TIRED.
. IT TOOK MY YOUNG HORSES ABOUT THREE OR FOUR TIMES BEFORE I WENT ALL THE WAY AROUND. JUST BEING ON THE SAFE SIDE..
IF THEY ARE IN NORMAL HEALTHY CONDITION WALING YOU CAN DO THE WHOLE THING SLOWLY IN 2 1/2 HOURS OR SO.. IF YOUR JUST ENJOYING THE DAY MAYBE EVEN YOU CAN SQUEESE A LONGER RIDE OUT OF IT.
HIKERS .. FINE RUNNERS IF YOUR NOT A FRONT RUNNER IT MAY BE A BIT TEDIOUS FOR YOU?? MY HUSBAND TRAINED THERE IN THE 80`S FOR WESTERN STATES AND DID JUST FINE! BUT IT THATS YOUR GOAL.. GO BACK OVER TO THE OTHER TRAILS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FREEWAY 80..

One of my favorite hikes for a quicker outside workout. The elevation gain can be felt through several uphill climbs and a switchback you come to at about mile 3. The trail has recently been updated with mileage markers, but there are several parts that terrain can be tough to maneuver for those not comfortable or familiar with regular hiking. It does follow Winchester around many homes, so if desolation is your desire, you may want to choose a different hike.

This is an odd trail and follows the property boundary of Winchester. Lots of dogs. The climb up Sugar Pine ridge is pretty though. Did it once and no desire to return. There are better options nearby in Clipper Gap.

Good trail for training outside, as opposed to stairs, treadmill or elliptical; however, not a good trail if you're looking for scenery and nature. The trail is 6 miles long, located behind farms and estates, and has several areas of mud which are unavoidable if you want to complete the trail.

Well...definitely was misinformed about the trail from what the author of 60 hikes in 60 miles Sacramento had said. The trail is literally winding between properties and houses almost the entire way. This trail is a community trail for the people who live around and in the Winchester Country Club. I would recommend this trail if you want to see some million dollar homes, because if you are, you won't be one of those people living there. There was a non-existent view even at the top of Sugar Mountain.

Bottom line: I would put this trail below just about any other option and you can find a better use of your time hiking than here.

Pretty hike, trail is nice although it follows along homes (they are nice homes but you feel a bit like a peeping-tom). We weren't ready for the switchbacks but it was cool. The 'garden at the end is quit pretty and makes for nice pictures.

I didn't plan on hiking 6.5 miles when I left my house that morning... but decided hey let's try this trail rather than the river today. After having a hard time finding the trail head I found there is no real parking but street side across from the church. trail head is back up a little bit towards Winchester. I will park at the park from here on out and start from there for safer parking. The trail has LOTS of hills and very uneven ground... about 2 miles in I really wanted to quit. I stopped had my snack (updated Facebook) and decided to finish it. I was very surprised how you are walking along peoples back yards and you can look right in there houses. There are many VERY rugged steep lose rock areas but nothing you can't careful footed pass. Yes there were dogs who were not fenced in but never once did a dog come at me (I wouldn't way my 13 lbs dog on this route though) The switch backs were the hardest part of this hike, they seemed to go on forever but the view was worth it. I only ran into one other walker and her (unleashed) dogs. One home owner was mowing his yard. He waved hi, normal to see people on the trail. along the art .5 miles along the road it was VERY muddy (we had had lots of rain before my hike) so I stepped off the trail and ran on the road. I can't wait to do this again, twice. I am going to use this as my 13 mile half dome prep hike. See you out there! oooh yeah..living less than 5 miles from here my bigger warning to people is this would be a rattlesnake hell trail in the summer/fall BE VERY CAREFUL OF RATTLESNAKES!!!

I began the full loop right at the 1400 block on Sugar Pine Road rather than crossing the street onto Winchester Club Drive (this is taking the trail "backwards". The entire 6.5 mile loop only had 4 trail markers. Which were 6.5 mi, 6.0, 5.5 then the last one I saw was 5.0. It would have been extremely helpful if there was a 3 mile mark; and at an intersection where the trail crossed an off-road vehicle trail. There were plenty of signs that showed to yield to folks on horseback and mountain cycles. Although many websites state that there is only a 100 ft elevation gain, it is misleading because the trail is hilly so you're climbing up then using your poles in front of you on the descents. The first 2 miles are easy. Then the first climb comes, which isn't bad because it's not so steep, so you don;t realize how much of the trail is uphill. When you reach the best view vantage point. You have switchbacks to take you down. You get quite a workout, so the Intermediate rating is accurate on other trail guides for this hike. There are signs to be cautious of rattlesnakes as well. Also a bit misleading is the thought that the trail is "safe" because you're nestled within the Winchester Club community. The danger is neighborhood territorial dogs not kept on their owners property. We had a dog race out of an open garage driveway, charging toward us. If it had not been for the wire boundary fence that separated me and my hiking partner, I would have been mauled by a 60 lb dog. It was very scary. The owner never came out to call his dog back as well. Although the trail itself was well maintained, and it gives a great workout. I give it only 2 stars for the lack of trail markers like the picture I posted, and to be aware of unleashed dogs on the back side of Sugar Pine Road