Stoddard Peak Trail

Stoddard Peak Trail is a 10.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Claremont, CA and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from October until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Some very nice views and enough steeper portions to get the heart rate up but a good stretch of the trail is a dirt road. However, on the backside of the mountain, the trail turned into a winding narrow walking path, more of what you'd expect. I wasn't really looking for the turn off to the summit but it would've been nice if that was a little more clearly marked. But what I thought was really cool about this hike is where you end up after 10 miles. You're down in a valley surrounded by these beautiful mountains. It has a very surreal feel to it. I was in and out in four hours with a handful of photo stops. All in all, I would do it again.

Really nice and amazing trail. A lot a rocks so where appropriate shoes.

It was sweet-sassy-molassy.

Take Mt Baldy Rd north and turn right on Stoddard rd. Google Mt Baldy Wilderness Preserve, that should take you to the trailhead. Stay on the trail for about 2.5 miles, then look for a stack of small rocks on your right. Then you will start the hardest part of the trail. The trail pretty much disappears and you have to go through a lot of bushes ( wear pants and long sleeves). The peak is kind of difficult to find. There will be 2 false peaks. Just keep going and try to look ahead to see where the trail is leading you and you won't get lost. 6 total miles and it took me 2 hours 15 minutes.

I took a lot of great pictures, but most of the trail was redundant. We couldn't even find the peak

Not much to look at. Very confusing where the trail is actually located

Absolutely beautiful trail. I did this in December it was a chilly morning and warmed up slightly. I wore pants and a sweater. pants are definitely needed. I wish we had found the peak. Definitely going back and completely the hike later.

This is a great hike... lots of bugs this time of year (flies mostly) so take a hat and keep your mouth shut unless you want a little extra protein snack!
We missed the turn off at the 3 mile mark to go to the peak, but we kept going straight past the 3 mile point and went for another mile or more back farther into the mountain range... it was gorgeous, quiet, peaceful... fantastic. This hike can go on for hours.... we were out for 3.5 and could see so much more trail to cover in front of us, but we also knew we were running out of daylight, so we hesitantly turned back. Nice part: we enjoyed a cold foot soak in the watering hole back at the trail head. I will definitely do this one again.

This was a good hike but not too thrilled about the thick brush you had to trek through. Almost poked my eye out twice on some branches and thick brush. But once we got to the top the view was worth it. I would definitely recommend wearing pants.

What a neat little hike! I loved the fairy tale cottage and for being June the forest was still quite plush.

Once you get to Stoddard flat and are in the clearing make sure to look for the very small foot trail that veers off to the right. It's marked by rocks pointed as arrows but it is still hard to miss. We walked past it but turned around about a half mile later and found it on the way back.

Also, make sure you keep going until you find the marker for the peak, there are two false peaks you have to summit before getting to the true Stoddard peak.

The Stoddard Peak Trail is a fantastic 4 hour trek that takes you through the lower regions of the Mt. Baldy mountains. Your hike starts after you pass through an area full of log cabins and cottages, then takes you across some pretty scenery. I would advise bringing multiple layers during the winter season as the temperature can drop drastically on the backside of the mountain. Keep your eyes open at the last bend for the small trail that leads up to the peak, we almost missed it because of the shrubbery but its all worth it because the view is amazing. My group and I were lucky enough to literally have our head in the clouds and the best part was after all the pictures were taken it started to snow. Hiking a mountain side during snowfall made this an extremely memorable experience. Enjoy!

This is a little kknow route near Mt Baldy trails off Mt Baldy Road. There is a road to follow that passes a number of cabins. Very quaint. As you start out on the trail the brush gets quite thick as you near the peak. Long pants advised. Enjoy

Well let me start off by saying get a map of the trail before you get up there. I was using my iphone for directions to the place to park. Once I reached the little parking lot I tried to look up the trail directions but no service. I walked up the service road that ended by some cabins. Went back down to the other side of the stream and found a little path like a old road. It was pretty cool. Quiet with a sound of the water running. Not to hot. Not to cold.

This hike is best done in cooler months as most of the trail is sunny. The first portion of the trail is easy following the old Barrett Stoddard Truck Trail. As you reach a peak on the right, look for a footpath going uphill through the brush. You'll want to wear long pants for this part and be prepared for a bit of rock scrambling. The trail climbs over two smaller peaks before getting to Stoddard Peak. Views are spectacular.

This trail is HOT! It is not a difficult hike

Loved this trial. We made the mistake of wearing shorts, and the last part was a little brutal on our legs. Totally worth it though. The trail up is easy, the last half mile is the tough spot in my opinion. The trail is not well traveled, and navigating through the brush was a little difficult. Today was perfect weather, and when we look out off the peak, the valley floor was still foggy, and looked awesome.

Beautiful and quiet trail. Nice cottages along the way. Wish Connie and I had a little more time that day to explore the area. We followed a trail and we could tell it was rarely used seeing that we had to go through shrubs and put our sweaters on so less nickc and cuts. Was well worth going through the shrubs to get a glimpse from above :)