EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Stevens Trail

Stevens Trail is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Colfax, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Stevens Trail is very scenic, rich in history and is on the National Register of Historic places. Built by Truman Allen Stevens it was used as a toll road for miners that needed to get from the mining town of Iowa Hill to the railroad town of Colfax. The trail was forgotten but then rediscovered in 1969 but a boy scout, Eric Kiel, and re-charted as part of his scouting project. Today it is maintained by the Bureau of Land Management.

Great trail! Beautiful scenery, winding along the American River. Well worth it :-)

This hike was AWESOME! Definitely not for someone who isn't in shape the hike back up is deceptively hard. Also the water is very high right now and crossing the waterfall is not safe for elderly/children! Lots of butterflies and blue sky!

Beautiful! The waterfalls were to dangerous to cross to complete the trail.

Moderate difficulty. Varied terrain which was nice. A few small water crossings. Easy to find the trailhead. Gorgeous views

Narrow trail at some spots but a GREAT workout as well as amazing views and water passages

Great hike. Beautiful views. Narrow passages on steep cliff edges were scary at times.

Great hike. I love the river views.

We hike in every December (before any low snow), to see the bizzillions of lady bugs nesting in the foliage at the trails end. That's right, the red ground cover is alive!

Hiked with my 12 yr old. Long trail, lots of full sun. Cliff-side at times. Rough and rugged, with rocks to climb over, small spaces to squeeze through. But once we got to the water, it made up for it. Beautiful destination. My son's most difficult hike, but also one of his favorites. Bring lots of water and snacks.

Excellent hike. About 4.5 miles to get to the river. Lot's of creeks, water, wildlife, peaceful & not too busy. Plenty of parking when I got there. Excellent views from the top. Highly recommended 5/5 - Moderate difficulty.

UPDATE! I went back to the trail and found a note that someone had found my keys so I have them now! While I was out there I ran into Julie and Rob who saw my message below and reached out to the note writer/key finder to give them my info. Thank you so much, Julie! A nice community here on All Trails!

I lost my only car keys on the trail (towed my car)! Wednesday, November 2nd.
If found, please let me know: stacitye@gmail.com.
The trail was GORGEOUS! Rigorous with amazing views! :)

My 10 year old son and I have done this trail multiple times. It's not that tough but you will be tired as its long. Climb is gradual but forgiving. Take plenty of water and stay on the train as poison oak is everywhere!

I've also hiked it with my bride and she didn't think it was that tough either.

If you go between April - June wild flowers are blooming beautifully.