Stelzer Park Loop Trail

Stelzer Park Loop Trail is a 2.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Lakeside, CA that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and camping and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Stelzer Park includes 310 acres of oak woodland and coastal sage scrub. Birdwatching, hiking and picnicking are all available here, as are playgrounds, a horseshoe pit and barbeques

Easy walk with some shade by the creek otherwise your in the open.

You don't want to go alone to hike. But, the trails were great, the view is spectacular. The park itself it so cute. There are two jungle gyms. Bathrooms with running water. Shade, lots of trees.... Until you go hiking. Then bring lots of water. I will certainly go back. PS, it was 93 degrees, so not the best on a hot day, but we survived and bought water there.

Short, beautiful and still gets a good work out in with the steep hill at the end.

I've hiked this trail 2 or 3 times. It's a very pleasant hike,but it's to short. that's my only complaint. it's a great place for picnics and has a playground for kids. I do recommend and it's very pleasant. my 3 stars are because it's short.I suggest you read Afoot and Afield is a book about trails in San Diego.

Beautiful trail! Took my kids and dogs and really enjoyed the morning

Amazing views

nice trail really like the observation deck on the top midway through the hike beautiful View.

This trail is open year 'round. It's near where I live so I hike it often. They adjust the hours of the park based upon the daylight. After parking there's a nice easy entrance hiking South along the river. We've seen deer along the trail on several occasions. The trail then takes an uphill turn that leads eventually to a saddle from which you can go South to the Promontory, or North to the Stelzer Peak. The road/trail to the North is fairly steep, and the footing is less than stable, though certainly doable. Coming down is actually a little harder than going up. The hike to the South from the saddle is a little easier and provides nice views of the Lakeside and El Cajon municipalities. It's a little bit of a bummer that SDG&E have run multiple towers across the park. On the way back to the parking you can either follow the trail back the way you came, or head straight(er) back to the park. In the park there are extensive climbing hardware and other playground toys for kids, complete with a chipped wood base for soft(er) landings. In truth, except for the hiking this park is made for kids.

Nice quite hike outside the city. Playground at park and very shaded for hot days before heading up the trail.

I first learned about Seltzer Park while working in Patty Read's class at Lindbergh-Schweitzer as an Special Ed Tech. It was GREAT being paid to enjoy this park. It has nice trails, and exercise equipment designed for people with who use wheel chairs. I've visited the park several times, most recently with my girlfriend and her daughter. We had a nice picnic then took a hike.
I forgot to bring my camera, but will return, camera in hand and post pics! I'd recommend this park for people with kids or disabilities.

When I showed up there was a small group of kids on a field trip. I took the trail that is right next to the ranger house. The loop that I took was only about 1.25 miles. I did it twice to get a good jog. I like the trail a lot its just tough to run up the hill about .75 mi into the run.