South Yuba Trail

South Yuba Trail is a 40 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Nevada City, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

California Travel and Tourism Commision, P.O. Box 1499 , Sacramento, CA, 95812-1499, Phone: 800-862-2543

Started at Purdon Crossing hiked through to Illinois Crossing primitive campsite for the night. Hiked back towards Purdon and stayed at Emerald Pool. Encountered gold miners, poison oak, and beautiful views. Lots of wildflowers. Amazing trail.

I only went up this trail for 2 miles but what I experienced of it so far was a great trail along the water ... good places to camp along the trail......I will be able to give it a better rating once I do more of the trail....I look forward to doing so.....it is quite,calm and free parking.....

THIS TRAIL WAS AWESOME!! ALONG THE YUBA RIVER SITES WERE AWESOME. MANY LEDGES. PATHWAYS THAT LEAD DOWN TO THE RIVER. SOME STEEP HILLS. ONLY WENT OUT 2 MILES SEVERAL GOOD CAMPING SPOTS BUT MOST ARE ON FEDERAL MINING CLAIM SITES. PARTS OF TRAIL WAS ERODED.

Actually the trail continues past Edwards crossing up to Washington,with spur trails coming in from the malikoff diggings area. Beautiful trail will easy access all year. I remember backpacking into this area in the winter back in high school and only meeting miners coming out for supplies. It is a pretty popular MTB trail now.

To continue the hike that the other reviewer describes below, just continue through the campground at Edwards Crossing. There is a very well maintained trail from there.

Oh, lots of poison oak as would be expected at this altitude and environment but it is probably not much of an issue unless you dump your mountain bike into it.

Despite the fact that I go to the South Yuba River frequently in the summer, I'm still not really sure about the endpoints of this trail. I think the most popular part of the trail is between the Purdon Bridge (which I THINK is the SW endpoint) and Edwards Crossing on North Bloomfield Rd.

I've walked this part of the trail probably a dozen times. It's about 4.5 miles and by no means difficult. Some of it offers views of the river from high up on the rocky walls, and other parts are deeper in the wooded valleys of the creeks that feed into the river.

Both of these places offer great swimming in the summer. A couple years ago I swam/floated the whole 4.5 miles downstream and then hiked the trail back up in my Keens! Fun day.

NW of Edwards crossing is where I get confused. Crossing the bridge, there are more trails that run along the river but none of these are developed and marked like the previously mentioned section.

It may be that the trail follows N Bloomfield for a few miles up to the campground.

I'd love to see a diagram of this whole trail.

We only went a bit past the picnic area, but it's a pretty decent trail. It just follows the cliff side on the north side of the river through mixed oak and pine forest. The scenery never really changes up to that point, and the trail mostly stays well above the river. It is possible to get down in a few places though, such as at the picnic area if you want to climb down 600 feet. Nice views, especially at the north canyon spur.