South Lykken Trail

South Lykken Trail is a 7.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Palm Springs, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

This loop involves hiking the entire South Lykken and walking back to where you parked which ever end that would have been.

59 minutes ago

One of my most favorite hikes to do in palm springs. If you have a couple of hours in the morning to do a good workout this is the one. I park and start on South Palm Canyon Drive where you can catch the Trailhead then hike/run down to the Tahquitz Visitor Center located on Mesquite Ave then walk the road all the way back to the car to make it a complete loop. You can overlook all of palm springs and maybe even catch a glimpse of mountain goats which we did this past weekend. ENJOY!!!

I love this trail.

I did the trail with my all-time favorite hiking partner, my daughter. We started at the Mesquite entrance, though unfortunately we had to park the car about three blocks downhill from the trail head. There were several no parking notices beyond where we were able to park; thus we had what I call a 'hike to the hike'. A very good aerobic hike, all mostly uphill. We made it to the picnic tables. Pluses were that we can look into the canyon to see the massive flowing Tahquitz waterfall, and you can see the sprawling city view of all of Palm Springs and parts of Palm Desert, along with the thousands of palm trees inside. Negatives include limited wildlife, with just the basic sightings of several lizards. Other than a few heathy looking barrel cactus, the variety of the cactus and desert shrubbery was limited. Lastly, though we are fortunately in wildflower season, this particular trail did not have the spectacular array of blooming flowers that the other trails exhibited. Friendly hikers were found periodically during our hike, though none were seen traversing farther than the picnic table areas. Special shoutout to the entirely barefoot Italian woman we met who taught us perfect hiking etiquette when passing parties on narrow trails.