South Fortuna Mountain

South Fortuna Mountain is a 6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near San Diego, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Get a map at the trail head. There are a lot of trails in the park and though they are marked, they can be confusing.

This was a great hike! My daughter and I started the 5 peak challenge today and we chose this one to start. It was beautiful! We had to take our shoes off to walk thru the waterfall in the beginning which wasn't hard but the water was nice and cold and she loved it. Such a great thing to share with her. Then we started up and over. The problem we found was that the trails were in many directions and they are very difficult to navigate thru. Lucky for us we found people to help guide us at every turn or we would have been lost. So my only complaint would be that better signage would be great. But the views and trails themselves were in great shape and magnificent! 1/5 done challenge. Next week number 2. My 7 year old is very excited to share her pictures and get her pin.

So fun. Water running all over today. Great to do Oak Canyon after it rains.

Loved the views. Not great after the rain as it can get so muddy that you have 2 lbs of mud on your shoes. Overall a great workout and hike! Would do again!

It was a great hike and a good workout. The trail has long stretches of ups and downs. I find it's easier to follow the trail clockwise. This way you can climb up the slopes and go down the stairs. The slopes have loose ground and would be quite slippery (and scary) to go down. One downside is that there are many intersecting trails in the area. I used the AllTrails app on my phone as a guide. It worked great! There is not much shade on the trail. I would recommend it for spring or fall. It will be a difficult hike in the summer.

#5PeakChallenge complete gorgeous! Once you get to the top you might as well check out North Fortuna as well!

Great hike! Did this on 9-5-16 as part of the five-peak challenge. Did them all in one day. 18.1 miles. 4,326 feet of elevation gain, 6 1/2 hours. Fun!

Hard to believe this is only 6 miles but it is and it's work. Typical Mission Gorge trail quality-dusty, rocky and loose without shade. Brutal on sunny hot days. Great workout

fortuna is so hard

only saw a few people. great pacing. up down up down repeat.