EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Solstice Canyon Loop Trail

Solstice Canyon Loop Trail is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Malibu, CA that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is an incredibly picturesque, mostly shaded canyon hike in the Santa Monica Mountains. The Solstice Canyon Trail is a popular, well-maintained route with some spur-trail opportunities for more adventurous travelers. Some of the highlights include the oldest still-standing stone building in Malibu, a small waterfall and creek, and several ruins - including the ruins of a moderate mansion. From the gate, follow the service road that runs along the right side of the creek. Bear right at the dirt road that takes you up to the 2 odd looking buildings that house the Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy. To the right of the second building, take the Rising Sun Trail. This trail heads up the ridge, with great views of the ocean, then drops down into the somewhat mysterious Tropical Terrace. This is actually the ruins of a home build in the 1960s, and burned in 1982. There are exotic plants, lovely pools, a 30 foot waterfall (if there has been rain recently), and a hidden statue of the Virgin Mary just before you cross the creek heading into the ruins. This is really a fun place to explore! You can carefully scramble up the rocks on an extremely steep trail to get above the waterfall to a number of lovely pools. The return route is a pleasant shady service road that runs parallel to the stream.

Did the hike to Tropical Terrace on a day that was suppose to get into the 90s in the valley. Good "go to" hike for weekdays in the summer. It's hard to find parking on weekends. Didn't go as far as the waterfall as other reviews indicate it's just a trickle. I'll save that for winter and spring in wetter years. Easy to hike shade to shade and there's a nice cool breeze off the ocean.

Very nice scenery and you visit an abandoned (burned down) ranch.

Nice hiking

Thursday I was there it was a great hike until I came back down to the car and I saw that the windows were broken and my purse was gone there was also another car that was there that also got their Windows broken into Centennial Park ranger's needs to start doing their jobs and look out for the cars are parked there I don't think I'll be going back there :(

didnt finish the whole thing. our toddlers got discourage as soon as we were told thw waterfall dried out. what we did accomplish had decent views, no shade, and more like paved road than an actual hiking trail.

Good hike with fun things to see & explore.

It was a nice trail, had my kids with me and they love it. We did encountered a small snake but it was nice. Not much for a waterfall but it was nice.

kid and dog friendly! Easy hike and lots of areas to have a picnic... cool spot!

Average. Easy trail that leads to two burnt down buildings and a very small waterfall. Easy for the dog and enjoyable enough. Not worth the drive though.

Nice ! Well marked and options to go off trail or all terrain. The waterfall is fun to climb all over. Lots of people and dogs. Not to hot good breeze . Even found. Water fountain just at the end of a trail .

This is a nice trail with the payoff of a waterfall (it was just a trickle when I went) and the remains of a couple of houses up in the canyon. It isn't a difficult hike and has plenty of shade. The only negative is it tends to get quite busy on the weekends and parking is minimal. We went up and down on the same path as we weren't aware of the loop. If we do it again, we'll choose a less busy time and hike the loop instead.

Decent hike. Pretty crowded. A bit over rated.

It was great. Waterfall was dried up but we were expecting that. Really good views of the pacific.

Just did the hike today.... How did we kiss the loupe???

Easy. Beautiful views. Beware of mosquitoes. Make sure you bring insect repellent