Sly Park Jenkinson Lake Loop Trail

Sly Park Jenkinson Lake Loop Trail is a 7.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pollock Pines, CA that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

canoeing

whitewater kayaking

Summer boating, fall colors, winter snowshoeing, and spring waterfalls make this El Dorado park enjoyable year round The trails around Jenkinson Lake can be visited on horseback, mountain bike and foot. This guide, however, is going to focus on hiking. The full route, if you go all the way around, is just over 8 miles. With the continuous ups and downs it can feel like a lot further though. The total elevation change is insignificant but the small "whoopdedoos" can amount to hundreds and even thousands of feet perceived elevation change. Good physical endurance is a must if you're going to make it all the way. Jenkinson Lake at Sly Park has outdoor activities all times of the year. Snowshoes, cross-country skiing, boating and swimming are enjoyed by many. It's a huge park with more features than most people can visit in one day. There are events in the park that include everything from community mixers to the yearly "Run on the Sly". This park has been voted "Best Recreation Facility by the Mountain Democrat newspaper year after year.

45 minutes ago

Very nice, easy alpine lake hike.

This was a great long hike but came across too many people. Maybe we will come back on a weekday and bring our kayaks as well. start on the south shore more shaded and less trafficked. Waterfall was dried out. We found parking outside of the park.

A great moderate hike with nice lake views. My GPS showed it as 8.6 miles

Great moderate hike, with beautiful scenery. But as others have said, it is not 7.7 miles. We clocked 9.2. Dogs did well on the trail. Loved having water fountains and bathrooms all along the trail. Will definitely go again!

We hired this path today and aside from a small detour down to a secluded pond at the bottom of the aqueduct I come to the fact that this is not a 7.7 mile trek it's closer to 9 miles. But it was a great time beautiful views and good family fun. By the way my 8 year old daughter made it the whole way without a hitch.

Loved this hike. The trail is well maintained and very easy to follow with water stations along the way. Next time, I will bring my kayak too.

It was a fun easy fast hike back to the waterfall in the back. Was able to bring my family with me which made the experience more fun. The waterfall was very cold but refreshing. The hike was made fun since we would stop part way through to take a dip the the warm lake water.

Great trail, easy to follow. Next time I'll stay on the more southern side and do and out and back at the bridge since the other side has lots of people and campers and loudness. Nice, mostly shaded trail that I will definitely be doing again.

Parts of the trail are enjoyable but we were mistaken in hoping for a more serene lake experience. Sections of the trail include asphalt roads through or around campsites and walking along relatively busy roads with little clearance. Always nice to hop in the lake at multiple locations and dog-friendly is always a plus.

Beautiful trail. The kiddos and I enjoyed this one. At the end of our hike we took a dip in the water.

The hike around the Jenkinson lake is fairly easy and has beautiful views! Yes, their are a few steep locations, but if you go slow then the slope isn't too bad. Be aware of bikers on the trail though. The chimney area makes for a great location to go for a swim. The water isn't too cold. My Fitbit clocked me at about 9 Miles, but my cousin some how got about 10.1 miles.

Map: http://www.webreserv.com/catalog/ eldoradoirrigationdistrictca/images/sly _park_brochure_16031700002.jpg

Beautiful lake to hike around, except for the awkward campsites you have to pass through on some sections of the trail. I clocked this trail at 9 miles with fitbit... and at the rate I hiked and when I finished, it didn't feel like 7.7 miles.

Beautiful lake and trail. Easy to follow. Thought we would see more folks on trail but very quiet. Says 7.7 miles around but GPS had it at about 9. Leisure pace was about 4 hrs.

Trail is easy to follow and not steep. Very pretty forest, but was disappointed to discover the waterfall is man-made.

Trail was great and easy to follow!! We
Had plans to do half the trail, but an hour into it we decided to go all the way around the lake. It took us under 3hrs to finish trail. We will definitely do it again!

Love this trail all times of the year. Although I have gone all the way around, I prefer the south shore out and back. Not a fan of the north shore trek through the campgrounds. Shaded.

I don't know who said this LOOP was 7.7 miles. I clocked 11.41 working my way around the lake. We started at the South Shore trailhead and from there to the falls (yes, it is still flowing on June 12th) which was about 4 miles. Then it was another 7ish (depending on who's GPS you're looking at) back to the car.

The north shore part of the trail went through all the campgrounds. It was hard to find and keep on the trails even though there were signs marked on the road. The campgrounds broke up the serenity of the hike although there where some pretty areas along the way.

If I were to do it again, I would start at the South Shore trailhead like I did today and just do out and back.