Slick Rock Trail

Slick Rock Trail is a 4.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Arnold, CA that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from May until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

old growth

Hwy 4 to Lake Alpine, just past Bear Valley Ski Resort. Trailhead is along the west side of Lake Alpine. Cleary marked signage points the way.

off road driving

Fantastic location for hitting the trail, great camping.

People on the trail were fantastic except for this one Dick with a full size Chevy that had no business being on the trail

Be responsible, pack your trash out and know your limitations

off road driving

This was not an easy trail. With new boulders and trail difficulty, it was more like a moderate to low hard trail. I spoke with the Jeep group I went with an he said it wasn't easy either. The trail its self was amazing. Had a great time and will do it again any day.

I do not think I actually found the trail. There was a large tree down at the beginning of Cn45 and I walked in from there. The road forks early on; one way flat with power lines along it, one way up hill. I chose uphill and had a nice hike. I turned around after an hour. I believe another 20-30 minutes and I would have reached the ridge and had a nice view of the Sierras to the north.

I just posted a photo here. I am looking to find the trail for this view, somewhere near Arnold, CA. If you have any suggestions or know where it is please let me know. Any help is greatly appreciated.

We hiked from Utica to lake Alpine! AMAZING hard and so rewarding! I can't wait to do it again! There were a few jeeps Crawling but it didn't matter we got out of their way an watched them do their thing!

off road driving

Drove this in my 07 xterra with 3 inch lift and 33s. Awesome trail not too difficult just right, the last feature was a good challenge without a locker but winched right up.

off road driving

I traveled Slick Rock trail in my 1985 Toyota Land Cruiser which is modified, lifted with oversized tires. This trail is quite scenic and very fun.