Skyline-to-the-Sea Trail is a 26.9 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Los Gatos, CA that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.
Two of the Bay Area's most popular hiking locales -- Castle Rock and Big Basin Redwoods state parks -- promise one of the region's top backpacking experiences. A three-day, 25-plus-mile hike through these parks from the crest of the Santa Cruz Mountains to the Pacific Ocean shows off everything to see in the South Bay woods, from the redwoods towering above to the banana slugs creeping along the forest floor. A popular version of this hike begins at the eastern terminus of the Skyline-to-the-Sea Trail, at the intersection of Highways 9 and 35 (Saratoga Gap). The first third of Skyline-to-the-Sea tracks along a highway and is otherwise unremarkable, so a superior option is to start from the Castle Rock State Park headquarters a few miles south of the gap on Highway 35. Castle Rock offers wonderful vistas of the mountains stretching to the sea, and a safe place to park your car. The second and third days of the hike traverse ancient redwoods in Big Basin Redwoods State Park, passing the impressive Berry Creek Falls and ending at the edge of America at Waddell Beach on the Pacific Ocean.
Started at the intersection with highway 9 under the fog. Ended up at Rancho del Oso 28km away. Mostly downhills and under the shade of the trees. Very nice run.
What a beautiful and amazing trail.
My 11-year-old son and I did this trail in a July and it was really awesome. We actually picked up the trail inside a big basin state park near the headquarters. The first day we did a 5 mile day-hike and then stayed the night at Jay camp primitive campsite.
The next day we set out for the Sunset Trail Camp via Berry Creek Falls, Silver Falls, the cascades, and golden Falls. What an awesome trip that was. The first few Miles were mostly uphill but then there was a nice downhill stretch before reaching Berry Creek Falls. Then a up again the the Sunset camp.
The last day we headed down to Waddell beach and took the hikers-only trail near the end. It was really great.
Overall this trail is ranked as Hard, but my son handled it well with sizable pack. Our route was just at 20 miles total. The scenery was beautiful and the trails were well marked. For us, this was a great trip... Off the grid but close enough to civilization that I felt pretty safe with the kiddo out there. It was a very memorable experience and we both LOVED it.
so lovely, I need my passport
Great hike, really scenic
Paths where great and the tree cover excellent to save being baked by the sun
The part of the trail that follows hwy 9 is quite dismal; hiking for several miles right next to a busy road buzzing with Harley Davidson enthusiasts is not exactly my idea of serenity. However every other part of the trail is absolutely stunning and beautiful. Would recommend.
It's possible to sneak into some of the closed campsites in Big Basin if you can't get a reservation for one of the backpacker's campgrounds there. Just set up shop after dark and leave early in order to not be spotted by the Rangers. I have never done this and I am not recommending it to anyone. ;)
Gorgeous hike along the creek when water is present (Spring is great)
Fantastic. I can't wait to go again!
This is a gorgeous hike about 65% of the time. the other 35% involves walking along the highway, which I found less than ideal. The second leg, stretching from Big Basin to Wadell Beach, wanders through the drainage basin with gorgeous streams and the famous Berry Creek Falls. The second leg easily deserves 5 stars but the first leg can be a drag after the first few miles.
Beautiful after a nice rain
Great if your into it
This trail is also good for mountain biking - from the sea to Berry Creek - about 7 miles Rt. At the creek you can leave your bike and hike on up to the falls if you wish. Very pretty!
This has been the most beautiful hike I have been on so far. For me it was a real workout. My kids did the hike just fine.
Did this hike in one day but from the Castle Rock State Park parking lot which adds another 3 miles to a total of 28 miles but also adds some wonderful views so I highly recommend starting there. It took about 11 hours with breaks included. Took one wrong turn (missed the Travertine Springs Trail turnoff) that cost us 40 minutes so be sure to read all trail markers carefully and start early. Wonderful, hard, and rewarding hike.
There are a few different trails you can take depending on how far you're willing to hike. The area is mostly shaded by the giant redwoods, which is very helpful on hot days. Some of the trails can be a little steep, but it's not too bad.