Skull Rock Nature Trail

Skull Rock Nature Trail is a 1.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Twenty-nine Palms, CA that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, rock climbing, and camping and is accessible from October until April.

rock climbing

A very well maintained and marked trail with interpretive markers along the way.

Fun with the kids, beautiful scenery, several spots to roam of the beaten path.

geocaching

Good trail and even better climbing around in the rocks. Bring gloves of you want to amble through the rocks...the stuff is like granite or something.

I did this trail at night with some friends. Very fun! Be sure to keep an eye on the trail if you go at night. Once you start exploring its very hard to find your way back. Took lots of great pictures of the stars!

Hiked very near to this area. One of the most fun hikes we had in Joshua Tree. There were so many rock scrambles and formations that we felt energized and just kept exploring and climbing. Saw lots of birds, Juniper berries, varied cacti, lizards, and of course the photography here is outstanding. Go off trail--so much to see and so many little surprises around each bend!

Skull Rock is actually just barely off the campground road. Interesting rock formations. But, the most fun is going off the trail and playing on the rocks. Wish we had more time! Fun!

This is a fun trail, very easy and well maintained. The most fun comes when you go off trail just a hair and climb some of the wild rock formations all around these parts. My grandson and I spend hours at a time at the Jumbo Rocks/Skull Rock area and never cease to have a blast. There are rock formations for any climbing ability, and by just going off trail just a little, you can really feel like you are lost out there. One of my favorite places to go.

What was interesting about this place, I was wondering where it was because I’ve only gone as far as Ryan Mtn. the last time. But today drove through the entire Park Blvd and was surprised to discover it was along this road. Because it’s not shown on the map and if anybody was wondering where it’s at? No more mystery, just stay on Park Blvd and continue pass Ryan Mountain going East and you’ll see it on the right hand side of the road.

Anyway, about Skull Rock it was not particularly the best time to capture the moment on digital. As it turned out, at that time of day, the shadow angle was not the best, because the whole façade was shaded.

Have six more days left before the parking pass expires, and I hope to return soon.

Fun for all ages!

This is a very easy hike that shows some amazing rock formations and some beauty of Joshua tree national park. The trail head starts in the middle of Jumbo rocks campground and go to skull rock, cross the road and continue on the loop back to the road at the main entrance to jumbo rocks. Took my 6 & 8 year olds and they loved it. Lots of birds, butterfly's, bees, flowers and lizards.

Skull Rock and Jumbo Rocks are two more highly popular scenic attractions in Joshua Tree National Park. This super short 1.7 mile hike (2 miles if you wander through the campground like we did), is another must-do hike for anyone wanting to soak in the majesty of Joshua Tree. It’s easily reachable from the park’s northern Loop Road, and is engaging enough even for young kids — particularly with all the cool rocks to climb. (Date hiked February 18, 2013.) Read the full write-up at: http://www.greeneadventures.com/2013/05/21/hiking-skull-rock-jumbo-rocks-loop-in-joshua-tree/

I had hoped this hike would get me off the road a little bit, and we decided about half way that we could have just driven over to Skull Rock and seen it - the trail didn't give us much of anything we couldn't have gotten in the car other than a stretch of the legs. Once your at Skull Rock though, running around and climbing on all the rocks is pretty awesome, so its a place worth visiting. If you have other places to go, though, I'd say that driving there and hiking somewhere else is worth your time and energy.

The loop trail starts and finish at the skull rock campground. The trail is mostly flat and pretty easy but the beauty of joshua tree is the opportunity to go off trail, climb random rocks, and explore all the little places you find interesting along the way!

The trail is labeled "split rock trail" and it's a loop trail. It's a fairly easy hike. I did this with my husband & daughters (ages 6 & 12). There are picnic tables at the trailhead. We had a small picnic after our hike. It was nice. The trail is not overpopulated & there's plenty to see along the way. We stopped several times along the way to look at the different rock formations and say what we thought they looked like ... like passing clouds. There are signs to the "face rock" which is about 0.1 miles off the main trail. It's worth the short walk.

There are signs off the split rock trail that split to "eagle cliff trail" ... we followed it out of curiosity & it led us to nowhere! It's also a more difficult trail than "split rock trail" .... I don't recommend the eagle cliff trail. But I highly recommend the Split Rock trail ... It was a unique & fascinating experience.

got to the trail first thing in the AM. i was the first one there at around 7:30. some cool rock formations, including the skull rock. the trail is relatively easy. after checking out the skull rock, i crossed the street and followed the nature trail up. connected with the road back to the car.