Sitton Peak Truck Trail

Sitton Peak Truck Trail is a 14.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lake Elsinore, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until November.

For a detailed description go to: http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/cleveland/recreation/hiking/recarea/?recid=47586&actid=50

I would say this trail is a good solid hike. First 4 miles are not too strenuous with moderate altitude gain. The last remainder about .8 of a mile is where things get tougher. The angle of accent going up will wear you down a bit but it pays off when you reach the top. The last portion of the hike is marked by white ribbons to help guide you and keep you on course. Gorgeous 360 degree views with breathtaking sights.

I would definitely recommend this trail for a solid but not too strenuous day hike! The last 1/3 - 1/2 mile heading to the peak was the most strenuous with some VERY steep grades!

The terrain is scenic with lots of different wild flowers and native shrubs. We did this hike in late May and ran into a lot of flies. Forces you to keep moving. :)

Not too many hikers and the peak was very quiet and peaceful.

Note, I think the track associated with this hike on AllTrails is incorrect - it's too long. However, the tracks recorded by other hikers seem to look more accurate. We didn't record our hike.

Sitton Peak offers amazing views! The last stretch to the peak is a little rough. Slippery sand and rocky, had to use my hands and feet a few times. Hiking poles came in handy. The Sitton Peak sign was missing. There was a broken glass and trash at peak from previous group. Definitely disappointing others don't pack it in pack it out. Going back down was really slippery but the rough part is very short even though it seems long. Take your time going up & down on the finally leg of the peak and you'll be fine!

It was awesome. Not too crowded compared to other routes I've been on. Would come back again.

Loved this hike, especially because it was my first solo hike and my first hike over 7 miles. The first 4 miles I would say are easy, like taking a stroll with some hills involved but nothing too bad. Once you get to the last stretch once you see the sitton peak market going straight up its really strenuous, I don't know if the path is not as well maintained because of the recent rains, but it was very steep with loose rocks and many times I had to grab on with all fours to get good traction. I had to stop maybe five times while going up that final stretch haha. Once you get to the top, however, it's so worth it, you can see everything, the ocean seems so close. Going back down was the hardest because I kept sliding down the hill. Once I made it back down however it was easier, though I was much more tired. Really worth it. For about a mile or two of the trail there was a trail of fresh mountain lion paw prints trailing me, probably from the night before, it was a bit unnerving but still interesting!

Awesome hike. Got lost twice though

Ran from the Ortega Hwy on Bear Canyon trail up to 4 corners, followed trail for Sitton Peak until we came upon a sign with Sitton Peak pencilled in at bottom pointing up side of hill. So we took that path up the side of the hill. It was a rocky climb up that we could not run. Worth the hike up for the impressive views. It took us right next to the summit. The peak on the all trails map did not match. So I have submitted to change the summit location. Go early we had shade most of the morning 6am-8am. Only saw 1 Tarantula, no snakes, lots of animal droppings but no encounters. Gave it 4 stars, because the trail map did not match. My elevation photo is Bear Canyon Trail out to 4 corners, up to the peak and then return to 4 corners and take Verdugo Trail back to highway.

Another great hike with a rewarding view at the end.

The view from the top is worth the last bit of scramble to get there. Bring a picnic and spend some time up there. And keep a good eye out for the rusted airplane that crashed nearby the trail many years ago.

Great views at the top. Watch out for snakes on the trail.

Entrance is just to the West of the Candy Store. Nice easy hike. A steep scramble to the top. Well marked. Clear sunny day. Saw Channel Island, down town LA and lots of other mountains.

Very nice hike. Easy hike until you get to the final climb up to the summit. Wonderful view at the top. If you hike at the hottest time in the day like I did, bring lots of water. Will be doing this hike again.

Great view. This was my first time hiking I consider myself pretty athletic and I love how this trail kicked my butt. The last portion of the hike was so steep but totally worth it when we reached the summit.

Great hike! This peak has amazing 360 degree views! My friend and I are out of shape, but we completed it in 6 hours. Follow bear canyon trail to the 4 corners and then take sitton peak trail to the summit trail on your right hand side, don't miss it, it's like 1.7 miles from 4 corners and the last .4 miles are pretty step and narrow, worth it!

Fun hike to Sitton Peak a few weeks back. We ran into a red diamondback rattler, even got him on video. Here's the video of our hike: http://youtu.be/ZIS7PWNgOIc

I did not have enough time to peak today but will next week. The first two miles are a steady climb that is on the rocky side. After that you get a nice break for about a mile to four corners. Hang a right and head up another mile climb to the next trail marker. It is about a half a mile to the bottom of the peak trail head. That is where I turned back today. From where I was standing it was a steep gnarly climb to the top.