Sitton Peak Truck Trail

Sitton Peak Truck Trail is a 10.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lake Elsinore, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until November.

For a detailed description go to: http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/cleveland/recreation/hiking/recarea/?recid=47586&actid=50

1/1/17
Great trail for running/training. Went up today with friends and two dogs. We left with numerous tics and fleas. Weather was chilly. Been here in the summer and don't recommend it. I never go anywhere in Cleveland national forest in the summer because everything seems hot and dry.

12/10/16: Adventure pass needed. No permit needed for the hike; however, if you're backpacking then you'll need a permit. A few steps in and you'll see a box requiring you to fill out your info for visitor tracking purposes. The parking lot is on your right hand side and across the street from a candy store. The parking lot is a good size so don't need to worry about getting a spot. Behind the store to the right is the head of the trail. The trail is partially maintained and still visible; although it can be easy to lose your way. Wear pants and long sleeves because there are a lot of brush. At each split in the trail there are signs guiding you to the peak. Trekking poles are helpful especially the last mile before the peak which is where the scrambling comes starts. If you collapse your trekking poles it's helpful for scrambling or use your hands. White ribbons are tied to the bushes to help guide your way. The sitton peak sign is missing. Views are amazing and rewarding.

I would say this trail is a good solid hike. First 4 miles are not too strenuous with moderate altitude gain. The last remainder about .8 of a mile is where things get tougher. The angle of accent going up will wear you down a bit but it pays off when you reach the top. The last portion of the hike is marked by white ribbons to help guide you and keep you on course. Gorgeous 360 degree views with breathtaking sights.

I would definitely recommend this trail for a solid but not too strenuous day hike! The last 1/3 - 1/2 mile heading to the peak was the most strenuous with some VERY steep grades!

The terrain is scenic with lots of different wild flowers and native shrubs. We did this hike in late May and ran into a lot of flies. Forces you to keep moving. :)

Not too many hikers and the peak was very quiet and peaceful.

Note, I think the track associated with this hike on AllTrails is incorrect - it's too long. However, the tracks recorded by other hikers seem to look more accurate. We didn't record our hike.

Sitton Peak offers amazing views! The last stretch to the peak is a little rough. Slippery sand and rocky, had to use my hands and feet a few times. Hiking poles came in handy. The Sitton Peak sign was missing. There was a broken glass and trash at peak from previous group. Definitely disappointing others don't pack it in pack it out. Going back down was really slippery but the rough part is very short even though it seems long. Take your time going up & down on the finally leg of the peak and you'll be fine!

It was awesome. Not too crowded compared to other routes I've been on. Would come back again.

Loved this hike, especially because it was my first solo hike and my first hike over 7 miles. The first 4 miles I would say are easy, like taking a stroll with some hills involved but nothing too bad. Once you get to the last stretch once you see the sitton peak market going straight up its really strenuous, I don't know if the path is not as well maintained because of the recent rains, but it was very steep with loose rocks and many times I had to grab on with all fours to get good traction. I had to stop maybe five times while going up that final stretch haha. Once you get to the top, however, it's so worth it, you can see everything, the ocean seems so close. Going back down was the hardest because I kept sliding down the hill. Once I made it back down however it was easier, though I was much more tired. Really worth it. For about a mile or two of the trail there was a trail of fresh mountain lion paw prints trailing me, probably from the night before, it was a bit unnerving but still interesting!