Sierra Discovery Trail

Sierra Discovery Trail is a 0.8 mile loop trail located near Alta, CA that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible from December until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

easy interpretive trail, waterfall The PG & E Sierra Discovery Trail loop is an interesting, and easy interpretive trail, explaining the geology and ecology of the Bear Valley and the Sierra Nevada. The trail starts out as pavement crossing a bridge over the Bear River. To get to 12 ft. Bear River Falls, go left here (now on a dirt trail) and you'll see the falls shortly on your left. After seeing the waterfall, continue on the loop trail back around to the parking lot. Although mostly dirt, the trail is suitable for wheelchairs with some help (but note, it is easier to go right on the loop trail after crossing the bridge). For more info, see my <a href="http://www.waterfallswest.com/ca-bear-river-falls.html"website</a.

Good for beginners and kids. Lots if signs along the way from which the kids can learn. The description says mountain biking, but there are signs that clearly say biking is not allowed. Bathrooms are stinky with lots of flies

Super easy, short hike and lots of water:) The falls are beautiful and easy to get down to. Nice picnic area in the shade and right next to the water. If you walk across the street you can sit next to a small waterfall by the bridge. This is a great trail for kids since it's short and easy and lots to look at. The only two concerns we had were 1) Bathrooms very dirty/smelly so don't go in there

Had an amazing time and the dogs loved running the path and wading in the water. This would make a great summer swimming hole!

Not a good trail. There was garbage on the trail and in the stream. Gravel "trail" most of the time.

Went for a walk with our three year old, and our 1 year old in the stroller. It was great, would recommend it to anyone especially someone looking for and easy, short hike.

Great trail, easy walk. The first time we went, we let our son walk most of it by himself, and at the time he was only a year old. Great family trail.

Nice easy trail. Interpretive signs along the way. Picnic area nearby.

Nice short hike, that old and young can do with no problem. Lots of trees and running water.

I've done this nature trail a few times. It's a nice little walk in the woods with interpretive signs pointing out different species of pine and other flora, none of which I can ever remember! Same as the earlier reviewer, I've done this trail before or after other hikes higher up in the mountains. A few weeks ago I heard a giant chorus of frogs down in the marshy area. A pretty creek with some small-ish waterfalls. Great for kids (of all ages).

Our family really enjoyed this trail it was fun and easy. We actually stopped on our way up I-80 to a trail in truckee and we are really happy we stopped. My only complaint is that it IS NOT in Alta. I grew up in Alta this trail would be better explained as being around Yuba Gap. Which is a good 20 miles past Alta. Other then that it is beautiful an fun especially for small kids!