Shoemaker Canyon Road, East Fork San Gabriel River

Shoemaker Canyon Road, East Fork San Gabriel River is a 5.1 mile out and back trail located near Azusa, CA and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, horses, and mountain biking and is accessible from September until May. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Interesting Road to Nowhere, two abandoned tunnels, chaparral, nice canyon views In the early days of the Cold War in the late 1950's, our government decided that L.A. needed an escape route in case of a nuclear attack. Building Shoemaker Canyon Road was the supposed solution. But they soon abandoned this ill-conceived project, leaving a "road to nowhere" and nasty scares in some of the most rugged and beautiful terrain in the San Gabriels. Today, this well-graded dirt road penetrates several miles up the East Fork of the San Gabriel River, on the east-facing slope hundreds of feet above the water. And then it ends. No glamorous destination. The road just stops abruptly in the thick brush on a steep mountainside. The hike begins at the locked gate and proceeds up the road about 2.5 miles, passing through two long road tunnels in route. At the end of the second tunnel is where the maintained road ends. Unless you're wearing long pants and prepared for bushwhacking for another half mile, this is where you'll want to turn around and head home.

Fun trail to go up on with my bike and lots of Beautiful views. found this spot where someone made a heart shaped fire pit to the left of the trail when you go pass first marker. 2 tunnels with no light but you can see out the other side, when you out of 2nd one raid turns to trail on side of mountain over looking bridge to nowhere at the end. it's all up hill so be ready for legs to burn If on a bike lol

Is a fire road,really nice to get to the tunnels. After the tunnel is a little trail really hard trail. You can this trail for 2 miles until and really enjoy it this day. I need a lot of water it's not shade so bring hat.

All up hill and very sunny don't forget to take a hat. Also lots of bees.

Overlooking the bridge to no where trail this "road" is pretty basic. Im just not a fan of hiking on dirt roads. However, when we went the road was loaded with yellow desert flowers that smelled amazing.

went there today for a quick hike. it was a nice stroll through the LA forest. lots of mosquitoes towards the end and once the sun goes down. graffiti in the tunnel is always a sad thing to see, but none the less a great hike.. A hiker said they looped around to rattle snake canyon and back through shoemaker trail. I found the trail at the end and follows it for a bit but it was late and had to turn back.. I will return! ps. take lots of water.

Nice little hike. To some pretty cool old nuclear shelter tunnels. Only takes a hour or less to get there have fun be safe

Easy hike, great views and the tunnels are cool.

Two of my girlfriends cancelled going to the East Fork Trail (Bridge to Nowhere) and my girlfriend needed me to watch her daughter so I changed my plans. Me and Marlene (6 years old) hiked the six (6) miles up to Shoemaker Trail. It was an easy walk and a great way to get your exercise. All together, we had a very nice day.

Was a hot hike. I took it to the very end. It was sorta spooky because its not a very high traffic area. The high walls really make you feel isolated. There are no huge water sources on this trail. Bring lots of water. The end was neat. I found it interesting the history behind the tunnels and how the last tunnel goes to nowhere. The tunnel is long and dark. But the words "LOVE" are found in mosaic tile along the wall. Which was nice to see. It was an interesting hike but not one that I would do over and over.

Hiking guide indicated this trail was 2 miles, one way, from the trail head to the end of the 2nd tunnel. Took just over an hour to cover the distance. The trail is a dirt road, similar to a fire road. Very easy and obvious trail. The tunnels were awesome. I really enjoyed the hike in the cool of January. Temp was 49 when I started and 56 when I got back to my car. Not sure I'd attempt this in the heat of summer, though.

When you first turn on to Shoemaker, about a 1/4 or a mile down the road there is a turnout to your left. Pull over here and hike down the hill for a cool little cave through the mountain if you have time. There is graffiti and trash sometimes but the cave itself is cool. Make sure to bring a headlamp.

We did this hike in the late afternoon in the dead of summer, so it was pretty hot going up the trail with a slow steady incline. Bring lots of water. The hike goes by two sections of maintained bee hives, so be careful. We did not get stung. We really enjoyed exploring the two tunnels that were built in the 60s but later abandoned. We had a headlamp which was helpful to look at the graffiti on the walls of the tunnels and to spot piles of droppings on the ground. Those droppings inspired us to look up to see many mud bird nests and even a little group of baby bats on the roof of the tunnel! We loved that. At the end of the second tunnel there is a swarm of bees to the left of the opening, so watch out. The views from the trail are pretty nice, and I would think even better when there is snow on the peaks. Wildlife: flowers, bees, harmless snake, momma deer and this year's sproinging fawn, bats, birds, little yellow butterflies. We saw no people on the trail, but we did meet some Bud Lite drinkers in the parking lot. All in all, a great hike for a Sunday.

Did this trail early this afternoon on mountain bikes . It was beautiful. One of the more fun days I've had in a while.it's tough going up but really fun going down. The tunnels are awesome. Someone left a Tupperware which had a notepad, a .40 bullet and some random other random junk. Seems people have been leaving little notes since late last year. Anyway, it was a cool trail. Ready to do another. Came across a couple of bee harvester (?) guys and warned us about them but nothing too bad.some taggin which makes me question what kind of losers do a beautiful hike and do graffiti . Anyway, have fun.. And oh yeah came across a rattlesnake and I accidentally ran over it. I didn't even know it was a snake until it was too late so be careful :)