Shirley Canyon Cascades Trail

Shirley Canyon Cascades Trail is a 4.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Olympic Valley, CA that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Uphill climbing over huge rocks and boulders. Great views at the top. One of my son's favorite trails. We did this 2 summers ago during a drought and there was no water to be found on the falls.

One of the most beautiful hike I have been on. We went in the spring. Gorgeous waterfalls the whole way. At times it was a bit hard to figure out the trail they were going to tag the trail the following weekend. We got lost a little bit. We hiked all the way to high camp. It was super windy up top. The gondola wasn't running. We waited for half an hour and took the gondola down. I was happy. Didn't want to hike back down. Def going back again next spring!

This is a beautiful , challenging trail.
Lots of scrambling up and over rocks but well worth the effort!
Thankfully there were pink spray painted markings to guide us because there were lots of places were the trail was unclear.
We hiked to the lake and then up to High Camp had a beer at the bar and rode the gondola down, a free ride.

Hard, hard hike. Not on this planet could this be called moderate. Know that going in, and you might be okay. Nice scenery although probably better in spring. No water at all in the falls today (Sept 24th). Very little water for your dog but there is some. I went at my comfortable pace with lots of rest. Took about 5 hours. Thankfully someone has enhanced the blue spray paint markers now with flourescent pink so they are a little easier to follow. Note that this one says out and back 4.1 miles. It's 4 miles one way to tram, and the elevation gain on that is about 2000 feet, not 1387. I'll give it three stars just for the sense of accomplishment and the vistas, but there are easier vistas to see in Tahoe.

Nice vertical hike with a ride down.

Nice hike. Would be best to come during spring time.

Always love this hike...I only held back a star becuase when you go in the spring or early summer...it is beautiful up top!
Again...we veer off the Shirley Lakes Trail and go left straight up Solitude to High Camp. Rigorous but worth it.

Rocky, diverse. Moderate but wear good shoes.

Awesome bolder scramble through much.

Very rocky, requires scrambling, very vertical climb. Listed as moderate but it is much more rigorous than that.

Beautiful hike!!! So worth the climb

A fantastic trail taking you to the top of the Shirley Lake express lift to view the beautiful vast Squaw Valley ski area. Lots of wild flowers. Be careful to follow the trail carefully in order not to get lost.

beautiful and fun!

Beautiful hike! Lots of variety!