Shepherd Canyon

Shepherd Canyon is a 2.1 mile out and back trail located near San Diego, CA that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and birding and is accessible year-round.

A couple different ways to use the trail. I used the west entrance and didn't realize how short it was, about .5 miles. Will try the east entrance next time.

This without a doubt my favorite place to run. I start here at the little parking spot off of Antigua and run into the mission trails off of the Claremont entrance. Also there is a neat little pond (Dishwater Pond) that I take my kids to, to feed the ducks and fish. Haven't caught a thing but they love getting out there and seeing all the critters.

We rate this trail higher because it's a suburban gem and can reward birders. Besides the usual suspects, we've seen Red-shouldered Hawk, Curve-billed Thrasher, Canyon Towhee, Common Yellowthroat, Cedar Waxwing, and others we don't regularly see around the county. The loop that Gwen Shi put together and shared with us here definitely looks worth a try.

This trail has a little of everything. I have done it at least 10 times. In the middle of the trail you'll come across a little lake with fish, it's called Dishwasher Lake. This area was a military base and has signs posted warning about bombs and shells. I have look around a lot in this trail and found nothing. It has woods at the beginning and during the rain season you may have to cross a small creek. You'll go about 1/4 mile into the open area near the lake and after passing you'll go back into the woods. This trail ends at the street and don't go across it's waste of time, it has no enter point. I have seen one snake during the summer, the kids like to fish at the pond or skate board. The trail has a few side trails which lead you into woods or side streets.