Sespe River Trail to Willett Hot Springs

Sespe River Trail to Willett Hot Springs is a 20.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ojai, CA that features hot springs and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

hot springs

Directions from Ventura: Travel north on Highway 33 for about 25 miles. The highway is under restrictive use once it enters the forest. Located 7 miles off Highway 33 on Forest Road 6N31.3. Take Rose Valley Road to Lion Campground. Cross the river bed and head downstream (east) on the old road.

Easy to follow trail except in a few places. Bring plenty of water, I found none until willlet. There is a spigot near the sheds in willet but the feed hose coming down from the spring box up the mountain disconnects from the water pressure.

Went in at night, some difficult places to follow the trail the further you go. Some puddles from recent rain, but very little in Sespe River. Able to find water flowing from spring both at Willetts and Sespe camps.

Pretty cool backpacking trip with some leg burners if you're not in shape. Make sure you go when there is water running, otherwise you're going to have a bad time.

I've done this hike twice before and it's been a fun experience when there's been water. This isn't a review so much as a warning to any hikers that would want to do this trail at this time of year: THERE IS NO WATER (except for a small pond at bear creek).

This is a beautiful trail that affords many opportunities for wildlife viewing. Beyond the varied animal tracks on trail, we saw several deer and a very healthy black bear. The water is still available in many places but beware the heat. The mid-day temperatures this weekend were staggering. Hike early in the day if you venture out Sespe Creek Trail in the summer. The only downside was viewing the trash left at one of the campsites at Bear Flats. If you pack it in then please pack it out.

Beautiful, easy trail with lots of great spots to take a dip.

Beautiful hike out to Sespe Hot Springs. I counted about 10 river crossings along the way. Beware while exploring near rock piles - I saw (and heard) the largest rattler I have seen in my life when I got too close to one. This place feels truly wild. Recommended reading for the trip is the book "The Sespe Wild."

I love this trail and hate it at the same time. Definitely a winter trail unless you like having your skin melt away in the summer.

What an amazing hike this time of year. Hiked out to Oak Flat campground the first night (approx. 8 mi) in about 3 hours and had time to setup camp before sundown. Lots of water in the creeks, and after talking with some locals, this is NOT the norm. Glad we've had some drought relief. Also, this time of year is exceptional. I was trying to count all the different species of wildflowers we encountered, and lost track after 25! Willett Hot Springs was crowded and overrated, but glad I went and sat in for a bit. Too many people yapping about their backpacking exploits to chill and enjoy the springs coming down the cliff outside the tub. The campgrounds are many and laid out along the trail in places where you won't see the other guy even though there was a TON of traffic on this trail. Traffic was definitely a downside.

For So cal, this is an awesome Hike, I did a Day hike went 7.5 miles in To oaks flat ate, waded relaxed and headed back.took 8 hours and 15 miles..... Lots Of People but everyone of the same mindset at least when you get in a Mile or two, close to the trail head is Kind of well....you know....Would love to go deeper in and will some day.

Bring a lot of water. And explore the side trails, there's so much beauty out here.

Great swimming holes in the spring time all along the trail. A nice brisk temp but the clear waters and natural beauty make it hard to resist. I love this are!

This was a day trip for us, my wife and i did a 8.6 mile round trip on the 4th of July. My wife did not like the heat or the bugs. There were a lot of big flies during the day and mosquito in the evening. They didn't bother me that much. There was very little water in the river so you need to bring your own.

I will definitely be going back and I plan on an overnight here when the weather cools down a bit.

This one if my favorite backpacking routes. U can really out away from people. There are plenty of places to camp along this trail, and several camp grounds to choose from. Try camping at Lady Bug and going up and over the mountains down into Ojai. It's a challenge but incredible.

This was a great club my club tackled in two days . It's 10 miles to the hot springs. The hot springs are located in a tricky spot up a steep mountain side. The spring is large in a metal tub 10 feet in diameter. We camped at the base of the springs.

Beautiful, rugger, yet unique. I've seen bald eagles and golden eagles soaring over the river. There is a herd of desert bighorn sheep haunting the sespe hotsprings basin. Incredible southern California hike. One of the best. It will be my 6th time in March.

I hiked this trail with 3 other people. We were planning on making this a 3-4 backpacking trip, but we all got way too tired. It was very beautiful, my only complaint is that there wasn't a lot of signs telling you where to go. We were trying to hike to some hot springs, but we ended up going around in a huge circle after hiking for 5 more miles than we were supposed to. Anyway, I would still recommend this trail! It was a great workout!