Guatay Mountain Trail

Guatay Mountain Trail is a 5.3 mile out and back trail located near Guatay, CA that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Alpine, CA: Travel east on Interstate 8 then head south on Japatul Valley Road. At the fork bear right onto Lyons Valley Road to reach Horsethief Trailhead / Secret Canyon Trail. Just beyond the trailhead is Japatul Fire Station where more info can be found.

Not sure what the empty bullet case with string was blocking the trail. Nothing happen to me but be careful.

Late post. Last weekend, July 2, 2016 hiked Guatay Mountain Peak/Pine Valley Trail to the summit on a very warm day. Only saw a couple of hikers. This is a uphill, peak and valley hike all the way to the top. Approximately 0.50 mile before the summit is a very, very steep uphill, slippery rock trail and it was a doozy. I was pleased to see and sign the official peak log. Good hike with very little shade on the trail.

Yesterday hiked the pine valley trail up to Guatay Peak! Numerous peaks and valleys, of which consisted of steep uphill treks with one major steepness, loose rock hike up & up. Please to see an official peak log which always excited to sign! Registered 3.13 miles one-way to the summit and 4,863 ft. elevation! Only saw a couple of hikers on the hot dry weather!

Pretty good and very steep at the end. Decent views. In the bag.

Very nice 1/2 day hike. 5.8 miles round trip from the car and back. Did it in 2.5 hours hiking quickly. Only saw two other people, so it's a nice quiet hike... Beautiful views and even a geocache around as well.

This trail was no joke. Steep inclines and loose rocks... But the views made it worth it!

This was my first hike.
This trail starts off quite steep with a lot of loose rocks. It was a great hike, we didn't quite make it all the way to the water. (If there was any)
I would also like to add that the trail is not very overgrown and it is longer than 3 miles. also be aware of bees!

I just completed this hike with a friend on Saturday. We started at 6:45am and finished at 1:15pm. This hike was not that difficult, but was just VERY long. There was no particular section that was strenuous besides the length of it. I enjoyed it and would do it again. Make sure when you come to bring lots of water!

I will definitely be going back and doing this one again. Not far from my home. Easy to navigate.

Hiked this trail today. It was a bit rough in some places. There was water which I was surprised to see in this drought. The cattle are out there right now. Made it stink to high heaven and the dead cow in the creek didn't smell very pleasant either. Defiantly have to take your time with all the lose rocks. Watch out for downed trees too. Goes all the way to Lyons valley road if your so inclined. I did 5 miles out and then back. Rock walls are very interesting. Fun day over all. Good boots are a must and a full 3 liters of cold water. Wouldn't recommend it for horses. They do use that trail but it's dangerous on horseback.

Hiked this as a kid, nice view and a good outing. Doesn't take too long to hike

Let's just start by saying that this trail is for the adventurous. Its not too steep or scary; its just long and fairly uneventful, so you have to love being out in the open and exploring nature.

We got to the trailhead at about 9:00AM, but still had to figure out the whole adventure pass situation, so we didn't get started until 9:30AM. (Perkins Market sells the pass for $5 - they're close, friendly, and have what you need!)

We knew the hike would be a long one (alltrails says 13.8), so we basically just hiked until we knew wed run out of daylight. We got to Pine Valley Creek and turned around because we knew wed end up finishing in the dark, but didn't want to be too far out when the sun went down.

There wasn't too much change in elevation; the hike mainly ran along the canyon, deep into the mountain rather than up any of the mountains. A little while after we started the hike, we noticed little blue ribbons (with stamps of Texas on them!) marking the trail. Though we followed the blue ribbons, were pretty sure they didn't follow the same trail as mapped on alltrails, so we might have ventured off of Secret Canyon Trail. Its still safe to say that we were on somewhat of a trail, in the canyon, and it must be fairly secret because it was not heavily traveled.

Not sure who marked the trail, but its a good thing for these ribbons because some of the trail didn't look like a path at all. Its very overgrown and we ended up scrubbing through the bushes for a majority of the hike. My husband had jeans on, but my friend and I wore pants that left our shins exposed and they were completely scratched up (we earned those stripes!). We also brought our dog, a 30lbs schnauzer mix, who loved every second of the hike. It was a long one for him, but he didn't show it.

My husband and I brought over 10 liters of water for the three of us (the schnauzer and his two humans), and my friend brought quite a bit of water for herself. We also packed a lunch and lots of snacks. I get very hungry on hikes.

We finished at about 6:00PM, so we ended up hiking the last leg after sunset, but we did have flashlights so it wasn't too bad. After a long, full day of hiking (mostly squeezing through bushes), we were very glad to get back to the vehicle. Then we got burgers and shakes at Freds Old Fashioned Burgers in Alpine and limped home.

we got to Secret Canyon trail by way of Espinosa trail. Once they finish clearing the trail (about 4 miles in from the trail head) it will be enjoyable. Till then, get ready for some bush-wacking! The last .5 mile out is a steep finish.