Ben Overturff Trail

Ben Overturff Trail is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Monrovia, CA that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The scenery on this trail is beautiful and varied. It's hard to believe how secluded it is, considering how close it is to the city (I hiked on a Sunday afternoon and didn't see a single person on the trail).

The mileage on this page (currently listed as 4.2) is inaccurate, though, as you have to walk up a steep paved and dirt road for about a mile until you reach the trailhead. John Robinson's "Trails of the Angeles" book takes the road into consideration and lists the total mileage as 6.5 (4.2 on trail + 2.3 on the road).

Note: There were a couple of large downed trees on the trail before the summit, but folks have beaten a path around them, so they didn't slow us down.

One of my favorite hikes, but we continue on to White Saddle, on the fire road, which makes it a 10 mile hike total. We have seen a few bears on our hikes here. Once you get to white saddle it is a nice view of the other side of the San Gabriel mountains.

Great hike with beautify views

A short hike but I love the trees and rocks while hiking towards the waterfall. The waterfall isn't as breath taking as ones I have seen before but the journey to it was amazing. Very peaceful.

It was peaceful. Good elevation.I had a wonderful time. It is good for people who want short hikes. There was a little waterfall at the end. Hardly any water though. Lol

Pretty challenging trail. Beautiful scenery made to Twin Springs and then encountered a bear...always hike with a partner.

Always a great hike! Today was cool and felt the mist of the fog.

Hiked about 4 hours and loved it! Trail is a challenge which I didn't mind because I'm looking to shed a few pounds. Came across a bear and it's cub so that was a big bonus for me! Will definitely do again.

Fall 2003 -- I took this to Deer Park ruins. The trail feels creepy, like someone's watching, probably a cat. There's also some cool history involved such as the rusty water pipes that used to carry water to the city. The road is steep but the foot trail is nice. It's a lot of scrub at first but if memory serves me there's a little saddle that leads to nice canyon greenery. That's my kind of hike...scrub and forest, variety.

Perhaps one of the best short hikes I have been on as of yet in the San Gabriel Mountains. Park in the neighborhood and you don't have to pay the $5 parking fee. Also the park is closed to cars on Tuesdays but you can still hike in all you want. I recommend taking the trial that branches off the fire road just past the boyscout camp this is where the trial really becomes beautiful. bring the bug spray and keep your eyes open we saw a Bobcat watching us from the trees at Twin springs and are sure there was something watching us when we had lunch at Dear park lodge. A Beautiful way to spend a day.

Definitely a fun trail! We took the trail to deer park lodge and then the fire road all the way down. A little buggy on the trail, but not too bad. Also not busy at all for a Saturday afternoon. If you park in the residential area and walk up it's about ~8mi round trip and you don't have to pay $5.

Good trail. I did more than the 7 miles because on of the hikers in our group lost her jacket so I offered to go back and find it. I did 9 miles overall. Really enjoyed the trail. Take the fire road up and the trail down for an easier run. Do the trail both ways for a crunch.

great trail. exciting adventurous. fun

I think this is a great 7 mile loop to work on our mind, body, and spirit. It was difficult for me since the 7 miles is all uphill, but the kids loved it. It was a challenge.
Take plenty of food and water. It took us 5 hours to complete.

Great location. Don't see that many people usually see others on the road part before you get to the trail. Did see a bear once on the fire road on the way out.