San Jacinto Peak from The Tramway

San Jacinto Peak from The Tramway is a 9.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Palm Springs, CA that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and camping and is accessible from January until November.

12 minutes ago

Beautiful hike that I did yesterday with my friends. I'm doing the south California 6 peaks, which are 6 challenging summits that prepares the person to hike noun Whitney. San Jacinto is the 5th on the list just before san Gorgonio, the highest peak in south California. You have to arrive very early to avoid the long queues for the tram tickets (I have heard that sometimes you loose an hour waiting to buy a ticket). Also you want to arrive early to get a permit at the Rangers station. The tram trip is beautiful climbing over sheer heights, saving you around 10 miles of hiking. Get of the tram and go straight down to the lower level, exit the building and continue the foot path for about 300 feet until you reach the ranger station. You want to be early because although the permits are free, the issue a specific number per day. Rangers are very helpful and kind. They give you a map and explain the trail but due to the snowy trail it's very important to rely on a gps map. It's very easy to get lost on the trail. The hike is easy and offers wonderful views. It's around 9.9 miles round trip. We hit the top and had a nice meal in the rescue cabin on the top. On the way down a snow storm came and visibility changed and it started snowing heavily. It was still not dangerous because we were a group, had gps and were close to the ranger station. It's a very beautiful trail with amazing views at the top.

There's snow up there now so I'd recommend crampons and trekking poles. We did it without both; however, and slipped a few times on the ice. It's a strenuous hike at times and the snow will definitely slow you down. I left my backpack by the safe house because the last hundred feet of boulder climbing is intense with the snow, ice and wind. Bring plenty of water and don't forget to get your hiking permit at the ranger station that is located right at the trailhead. The rangers are very friendly and will provide a map for you once you tell them where you are head. They'll even highlight the trail for you to follow. If you go in the snow, keep your eyes peeled as people have taken different paths due to the snow so you may get off trail and then end up back on the trail later on. They all seem to head the same direction (just use your map to be aware of the area you are most likely in), but you may lose some time and add miles to your hike. All in all, it's an adventure. Just wear waterproof shoes and have fun!

Did it as part of C2C. Great trail that is right on the cusp of difficult/moderate in my opinion. The altitude probably makes it hard though. Nice views at the top but bring a windbreaker.

Great trail for an easy overnight backpacking trip, awesome views from the summit and along the trail

a decent bit of exercise. only downside is that you retrace your path on the way back. great views at the peak.

Did this as part of cactus to cloud hike. So started at Palm Springs museum trail head and reached the rangers place to catch the trail start. Nice easy trail. All gradual and smooth till the last mile or so to summit. The final 0.3 miles are steep and involve boulder scrambling.

A physically rough hike made even tougher by altitude. Spend some time researching mountain sickness, understand it's signs and don't think your exempt from it's effects because your in good cardio shape.

Buy tickets online for the earliest time available (9:00 AM for me) then show up at 7:30 to see if you can get an earlier spot (wasn't an issue for us on a Saturday). You want as much time as possible to get used to the alt and take extended breaks.

Check in with the Rangers down the ramp from the tramway. For $2 you get a map that they'll highlight for you and give you advice on how to navigate the more confusing trail branches along with pointing out common mistakes.

Make your way from the Ranger station to the Wellman's Divide split/junction. Spend an hour there to get used to the elevation and rest up before the final 2.5 mile trek to summit, you won't regret it and the scenery is spectacular. Make sure you understand the signs and are heading on the right trail when you leave.

The Peak trail is rough, you'll need breaks as you traverse the switchbacks. Keep going and you'll soon be above all those peaks you've been admiring through the trees. The views are stunning the entire way.

When you reach the rock cabin you're right below the peak, it's closer than it appears!

I had a rough time doing this hike despite hiking every weekend in Idyllwild and Palomar over the last two months. The effects of altitude hit me far harder than the physical exertion. Make sure you're ready for this one and don't take it lightly. We witnessed folks quiting due to mountain sickness, limping back with injuries and one being carted away by Rangers. Others were running the trail and making me feel every bit my age while leaving me in awe. I intend to do this hike several times but will camp overnight at one of the camps to let my body adjust prior to summit.

There's no water sources on San Jacinto, the water spiket was dry at Round Valley on 10/15/2016 with a few bottles of water left by fellow hikers under it.

Perfect and exhausting trail

This is in the wrong location. Should be taken off the map. This is not the peak hike.

This was a great day for hiking. The weather was perfect. I purchase my Tram ticket online. I was disappointed that I could only get a 0900 tram time. I showed up early to the station and was in line at 0700 to see if they would bump my tram time to 0800 (first tram of the day). I normally start my hikes right at sunrise, so even 0800 was a late start for me. They gladly changed my time to 0800. Come to find out only 10% of the tram tickets are sold in advance. Ninety percent are sold the day of. The trail was crowded. Lots of people taking advantage of the holiday weekend to visit San Jacinto State Park, the Tram Station and the restaurants. I was really surprised at how many people (non-hikers) were at the Tram Station when we finished the hike. It was crowded!! However, my hats off to the Tram Staff, they ran a very smooth operation getting people down. We only had to wait about 20 or 30 minutes. Considering the amount of people there were, I thought that was pretty awesome. Lastly, I wanted one of the burgers served at the restaurant however, I felt a bit dirty and under dressed to eat there. Opted for a French dip and fries from the café (not bad). I did find out later that if you order a drink from the bar, you can also order food from the restaurant and a have it served to your table. Next time!

Hiked on 7/23/16. Beautiful hike, plenty of shade for the first half, take lots of water, hiking poles were not necessary, saw people of all ages doing this hike, start as early as possible

I did this hike in two days. I went straight to the tram after work and got their by 3:00, hiked up to Round Valley and spent the night. I went up the next day and I highly underestimated the altitude. Breathing gets a little harder and as you try to take in more oxygen you lose more energy which in turn makes you more dehydrated. I'm 6'2 and heavyset, so it was through pure will and determination that got me through this hike and I can't forget the support of random strangers along the way. It was definitely a rewarding experience that I will never forget.

This trail is NOT in Nuevo - it looks like it's in Idyllwild, CA.