San Jacinto Peak from The Tramway

San Jacinto Peak from The Tramway is a 9.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Palm Springs, CA that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and camping and is accessible from January until November.

This was a great day for hiking. The weather was perfect. I purchase my Tram ticket online. I was disappointed that I could only get a 0900 tram time. I showed up early to the station and was in line at 0700 to see if they would bump my tram time to 0800 (first tram of the day). I normally start my hikes right at sunrise, so even 0800 was a late start for me. They gladly changed my time to 0800. Come to find out only 10% of the tram tickets are sold in advance. Ninety percent are sold the day of. The trail was crowded. Lots of people taking advantage of the holiday weekend to visit San Jacinto State Park, the Tram Station and the restaurants. I was really surprised at how many people (non-hikers) were at the Tram Station when we finished the hike. It was crowded!! However, my hats off to the Tram Staff, they ran a very smooth operation getting people down. We only had to wait about 20 or 30 minutes. Considering the amount of people there were, I thought that was pretty awesome. Lastly, I wanted one of the burgers served at the restaurant however, I felt a bit dirty and under dressed to eat there. Opted for a French dip and fries from the café (not bad). I did find out later that if you order a drink from the bar, you can also order food from the restaurant and a have it served to your table. Next time!

Hiked on 7/23/16. Beautiful hike, plenty of shade for the first half, take lots of water, hiking poles were not necessary, saw people of all ages doing this hike, start as early as possible

I did this hike in two days. I went straight to the tram after work and got their by 3:00, hiked up to Round Valley and spent the night. I went up the next day and I highly underestimated the altitude. Breathing gets a little harder and as you try to take in more oxygen you lose more energy which in turn makes you more dehydrated. I'm 6'2 and heavyset, so it was through pure will and determination that got me through this hike and I can't forget the support of random strangers along the way. It was definitely a rewarding experience that I will never forget.

Be prepared for the altitude if living near Palm Springs, CA.
Love the change of scenery on this trail.
You transition through 3 ecco systems from bottom to the top
This hike is the steepest accent from City to Mtn top in USA!

amazing

The hike is wonderful however there were a lot of people without permits on the trails. the permits help the rangers keep track of people in case of emergency and also help the parks justify a need for funds by showing how many people truly utilize the park facilities. the hike is 12 miles round trip to the peak from the Long Valley Ranger Station. There are some trail closures in the park that people need to know about and should talk to the rangers or volunteer staff about. altitude sickness is a huge factor up here so if you start to feel light headed or dizzy do yourself and your party a favor and turn around for it will only get worse. The park staff has around 360 rescues a year. a vast majority of those are from dehydration and altitude sickness. Plan to bring at least 3 liters of water and lots of food and snack. Sun protection is a need up here due to the last traverse of peak trail passed Wellmans divide being exposed for over 2 miles. other than stressing to people to be prepared up on the mountain, it is a phenomenal hike and can be hiked year round other than when the tram closes for maintenance in sept of every year. you can still hike up the mountain from the Idyllwild side during that time however. The hike is mainly an out and back except for the first and last 2 miles can be taken with different routes to give you a little something new towards the end of your hike. the ranger station telephone number is (760) 327 0222 please call for weather and trail conditions before you come up the tram to ensure you bring the right gear for the day.

Amazing
Always takes my breath away
Love it
Get ready to hurdle over rocks when you get close to the top

I enjoyed the weather and got to enjoy the tram as well to go hiking the San Jacinto summit trail a must check to do

This is a great hike! The view from the summit is, of course, amazing! As the second highest peak in Southern California , it's expected and doesn't fall short! The trail is very easy to follow, and as long as altitude sickness doesn't get to you, it's a fairly easy hike. Bring lots of water and have your phone fully charged! Extremely nice day hike!!!

Nice hike with great summit views! Did the round trip from the tram in about 5.5 hours with lunch at the top! 3 hours up. Weather was about 65-70 at the peak!

Epic

Was worried the Temps would be too hot but it was perfect.

My group of six went up and summited 6/26/16. Gorgeous hike. Alpine meadows, incense cedar, sugar pines and singing birds greeted us around every corner. The views were striking and lovely. I've never hiked a longer traverse across a mountainside! But we still stopped every few minutes to take in the views. Soon wisps of clouds are whipping by below you at lower elevations. Overall very pleasant and well engineered for ascending. When nearing the peaktop, the trail peters out and you scramble up boulders to get to the sign. The mountain really makes you push the last few hundred feet!!

geocaching

This trail is a very beautiful trail, offering the natural beauties of a pine forest. There are open little prairies on the mountain that you can see from the peak, which is quite neat. There is also a Tonn of plant life and it is very very nice. At the very top though, it is at least 50°. The crazy thing about this hike is just the temperature difference between the top of the peak and the bottom of the mountain. When I had gone on this hike, it was 101° at the bottom trim station and at the top, on the peak it was 53°. It's can get up to a 50° difference. This hike is challenging but it is definitely worth it. If you come from areas that are in the desert or near the ocean, you are used to mainly shrub-land and other things like it that would be on a chaparral. It is a very nice change compared to other hikes in California.

114 insufferable degrees on the dusty, noisy valley floor on June 2, but a balmy 68 degrees from the mountain station to the summit on a beautiful day, and the breeze on the descent was magical. A relatively easy way to summit a 10er. There were countless spots along the trail that beg you to stop to take photos, and I was happy to oblige. The sharp contrasts between the mountain meadows of round valley @9100 to the precipitous cliff views at Wellman divide @9700 to the rocky summit really keep you interested and engaged throughout this entire hike. enjoy!

PS: there are plenty of signs posting directions and mileage to the peak. There are also several off shoot trails (some longer, some shorter) that are worth exploring. These trails also have posted signs.

The hike from the top tram station to the peak is approx 6miles (each way). It is fairly strenuous but doable if you pace yourself. There are areas of intense sun so be sure to cover up and wear sunscreen. It took us approx 6 hours total round trip, including breaks. You do have to pay for a tram ticked to reach the trail head (price varies by season), however parking is free. This hike is a great challenge!