Aspen Grove Trail

Aspen Grove Trail is a 3.8 mile out and back trail located near Forest Falls, CA that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and horses and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Aspen Trees, Stream Crossings, Lush Green Pines, Wilderness Solitude A hike along the Aspen Grove Trail in the San Gorgonio Wilderness is almost guaranteed to cure just about any ill...streaming water, lush green conifers and lovely stands of aspen trees (rarely seen in Southern California), along with an uphill climb amidst summer wildflowers and verdant ferns await the weary and forlorn hiker escaping the cement jungle of Southern California suburbia. Silence (disturbed only by the mosquitoes along the creek in June and July-bring an appropriate line of defense) is also a cherished feature of a hike along this trail. The Aspen Grove Trail can be taken to its end to intersect with the Fish Creek Trail, one of the main routes used to access several paths leading to the summit of San Gorgonio Mountain, the highest point in California south of the Sierra Nevadas. A free permit is required for all wilderness trails, and can be obtained at the Barton Flats Ranger Station on Hwy 38 six miles west from the Heart Bar Campground.

Love the beauty and solitude of this hike. Required permits prevent overuse and help preserve the quiet and solitude. There is 2 miles of gravel dirt road to the trailhead, with a few washes and rocks ready to tear out the underbelly of a low clearance vehicle. We did fine with a Toyota Matrix and plenty experience with roads like these. We hiked to the end of Aspen Grove trail, which junctions at Fish Creek trail. There's a beautiful meadow here and a peaceful spot to have lunch.

This is my new favorite trail for beauty and solitude. I really felt like I was in the Sierras. I would rate it as easy because of the minimal elevation gain and not a terribly rocky trail. I only went as far as Fish Creek, but plan to go back often and explore more. I usually hike with speed and intensity for exercise, but here I will take the time to absorb the beauty.

We went on the Aspen Grove Trail in October. The Aspens were beautiful and the leaves were yellow in color! We took our dogs with us and they loved it. The drive up was a little rough at the end so we had to hike a little to the trail head. From the actual trail head the grove was only 0.8 miles. We hiked passed the grove to the Fish Creek Junction and that was a good hike. About 2 and a 1/2 miles to the Fish Creek Junction from the Aspen Grove Tail head.