San Elijo Lagoon Ecological Reserve

San Elijo Lagoon Ecological Reserve is a 7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Solana Beach, CA that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

A beautiful backdrop wherever you go, the San Elijo Lagoon Ecological Reserve has amazing views to offer every which way you look. Do be careful of rattlesnakes and mountain lions as this is an active ecological site. Dogs must be kept on a leash, and half of the trails (east of the I-5 freeway) are open to horse back riders as well.

Cake by the Ocean!

Beautiful

There was a landslide just now on San Elijo trails 11/22/16 at 4:45 it was at the narrowest part of the mushroom cave entry, quite a bit of sand and 2 volleyball size rocks could have easily injured or killed someone. There were eight Junior high school age kids on the same trail I made sure they got out of the canyon safely. Cliffs definitely unstable & dangerous right now, hike at your own risk!
Update: OMG!I just posted a picture of me taking a selfie and you can see the landslide in the background!!!

Súper padre para toda la familia

My first trail hike with my daughter and certainly long overdue seeing how I have heard about the mushroom caves for 20 years or so, great fun, so easy I did it in my flip-flops a good trail hike for the whole family.

Great hike , Annie's canyon is beautiful

easy but still very pretty.

Great fun for the whole family! If you've got little ones I definitely recommend visiting the information center. Lots of cool live animals to see (snakes, turtle, lizards, ect) and you can pick up a scavenger hunt from the employees (or there are some outside on the sign) and turn it in when done for a Jr Ranger badge! After we did that we drove to the other side of the reserve (just one more exit south) and checked out Annie's canyon trail. So fun especially for my 9 year old. Lots of steep and narrow spots but definitely worth checking out. My 3 year old was able to make it up with a little help from Daddy but he did great and really enjoyed it as well. We will be back!

Tons of mosquitos !!! And freeway noise most of the trail . Aside of that the locals and joggers are very friendly ... I was stopped 3 different times by hikers trying to find the canyon... I walked the wrong direction up the oil pipeline , u want to head towards the west side of the freeway

Very good with family

we hiked to Annie's Canyon. it was a beautiful day. went in early at around 7 am, later than that and it get crowded.

We took the La Orilla trail toward Rios trail and went up to Annie's Trail where the caves and rocks are at. It was amazing. The narrow rocky pathways where really cool

What makes this trail special is Annie's Canyon trail nestled within the San Elijo Lagoon trail system.
Annie's is a slot canyon created out of the erosion of sandstone over thousands of years. You can hike up through the canyon squeezing through crevices that are sometimes only a couple feet apart. Check out the photo's I posted here.

I was a nice little hike. I really enjoyed the mushroom caves. it kind of reminded me of Zion walking through the canyon. very easy and relaxing walk.

Lovely walk. Great run. Not super stroller friendly unless u have another person. Shady at times. Not super crowded and lots of park rangers walking around so feels safe.