San Bernardino Peak Trail via Angelus Oaks

San Bernardino Peak Trail via Angelus Oaks is a 15.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Angelus Oaks, CA that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

One of the best-kept secrets of Southern California is San Bernardino Mountain. Just five miles away from the highest peak in SoCal - San Gorgonio - San Bernardino tops out at a respectable 10,649 feet. Hiking from Angelus Oaks, this 15-mile out-and-back trail climbs over 4,700 vertical feet. It makes for a very long day hike or a great weekend backpacking trip. This trail has amazing views that begin very early in the hike. San Bernardino Peak is one of the lesser known (and lesser traveled) peaks in SoCal, providing a nice break from the more crowded trails like Mt. San Antonio. There are three distinct sections to this trail. The first section climbs steadily up well-engineered switchbacks through oak and pine forest. You gain a lot of elevation quickly, but the trail is smooth and not too steep. The second section gently climbs through manzanita, with beautiful views to the north towards Big Bear. The trail beings to climb up the final slope as you near Limber Pines. There is a small seasonal creek that you'll cross about 1/2 mile before Limber Pines. Limber Pines is where the weekend backpackers often setup camp, and it makes a great place for a break before your final climb. The third and final section follows switchbacks up the steep slope to Washington's Monument, then parallels the ridge to the top of San Bernardino Peak.

Long, but easy hike. Slow incline and at the last part to the top is the steepest incline, but it's short.

Great trail. I did this hike last Thursday and only saw one other person. There's still a creek following well enough to pump from about ⅔ of the way up. I got started late, about 10:30 and didn't finish until 6:30. It was good hike for my dog. He's an Australian Shepard mix had a blast. He was actually almost tired at the end of it!

Awesome trail with amazing views. Loved every minute of this hike.

Did this amazing hike for a second time. This time a group backpacking trip. Got a permit in the AM and slept over at Limber Pines. The spring there was running. The summit views were spectacular. Very windy overnight though.

Great yet challenging hike most times of the year. I did this hike last November with 70% of the trail covered in 2"-6" of snow. Advantages were less body shock (thanks to snow cushion) and I only used 2/3 liters of water. Slower pace due to sometimes slipping in snow. Yesterday 8-6-16, temperatures started at 7:30am in the low 60's and ended around 3:45pm in the low 80's. Took me 7.5 hours total, with a 45 minute break at the top. 4.5 hours up, 3 hours down. Slower probably because I'm a 225 lb 40 year old. Anyway, yesterday was pretty windy, with its presence felt even at the midway point. Just needed a long sleeve with shorts. Wish I would have had a stocking cap for the top. Shade for 50% of this hike, much appreciated. Surprisingly several sections with bees/wasps, you're forced to walk through, but none really pose a threat. Steady climb with all the way to the end. Pretty flat in the middle. Sometimes towards the top you think it's over, but the end wraps around. Be sure to go to a small bench, right where the trails does a 180 degree turn and heads to the top...right by the little monument. Spectacular picture taking point! Love this hike. As the last gentleman mentioned, my GPS also showed 16.5 miles and 4,723' elevation gain.

Hiked this on 7/29/16. A good hike. Great views all the way up...although the peak itself was a bit anticlimactic as the view is somewhat obstructed. The trail was in great condition. A fairly long hike but not too bad. The grade is not very steep. It was HOT though...started at 6 AM, the hike took 6 1/2 hours, and it was in the 90's when I finished. A fair amount of shade though. My GPS showed 16.5 miles with 4,701 feet in elevation gain. The little creek was flowing about a gallon a minute according to the park ranger I ran into on the trail. He was coming down the mountain after being up there for two days - said it never really cooled down, even at 9,300 feet. Anyhow, a good hike!

Spectacular views of Baldy, Jacinto, Gorgonio, etc. Hit both peaks and camped at Limber Pines for the night. Got treated to a great sunset. No permits were left via fax so I just showed up at the ranger station when they opened and got the walk in permit. Our group was one of two at the campground. Just saying. Awesome hike with some challenge to it and amazing views.

There is nice shade over the trail half the time. Beautiful views. If the heat wont get you the distance might, so water up!! Definitely would do it again!

I did the hike in the end of June and It was hot!!! I Ran out of water and had chest pain. There is one stream. About 6.5 miles up, but I forgot to bring my water filter... It was actually 8.2 miles up and 8.2 back. Maybe next time, I'll do an overnighter.

Spent the night on the summit last night and also completed East peak and Anderson. The San Bernardino trail is a great conditioning trail for distance, just shy of 16 miles (my tracker showed 18) but relatively mellow in terms of steepness. Beautiful views and a great start point for a skyline thru hike.

Awesome hike. The incline is pretty steady at the beginning and at the end -- the middle is through a gorgeous meadow with incredible views, Manzanita Flat. The trek flew by -- though I think it was longer than 15.7 like it says here, probably closer to 16 or 16.5.

We got some BEAUTIFUL weather and had excellent views of San Gorgonio, which is up next.

Hiked from Angelus Oaks trailhead on 6/6. Started at 7am, and reached the summit by 10. I definitely recommend an early start, 8 miles each way, and once the sun gets overhead, there are a lot of exposed sections with little shade. That middle rolling section of manzanita is stunning, one of my favorite sections of trail I've seen! Didn't see any snow or ice anywhere on the trail. I'd recommend getting a permit ahead of time, there was only 1 left in the self serve when I got to mill creek at 6:30am, despite only seeing 4 people on the trail all day. I stopped back and asked the rangers after and they apparently only put out limited (5) permits, so even if there are open spaces, you may not be able to get a permit unless you wait for them to open (or call ahead). Just a heads up.

Today was our second attempt at getting to the peak. We arrived at the Ranger Station at about 0515 to fill out our permit. They were all gone! We improvised and used an old yellow copy from San Jacinto Wilderness. I simply changed the Title and important information on the permit, took a photo of it (so we would have a copy) and put the copy in the box at the ranger station. We weren't asked for our permit by any rangers on the trail; however, we did receive a phone call from the Mill Creek Ranger Station the following day explaining that altering Wilderness Permits is illegal. They just gave us a warning for the infraction. Note to self, don't alter Wilderness Permits even with good intentions. The hike itself was great. Long and gradual trails. Nothing too steep. We ended up with about 16.5 miles today. The starting weather at the trailhead was perfect and the conditions at the peak were exceptional. Warm and a little breezy. Coming down in the afternoon was hot. I think the temps got up to about 89 degrees. 50's at the start and at the peak. It's a long hike so start early and go slow to conserve energy. Also, bring lots of water. I brought just over 5 litters and ended up sharing a few bottles with folks who didn't bring enough.

The weather today for this trail was perfect. 43 degrees. Due to snow and Ice about a half mile past limber pines we weren't able to make it to the peak. Crampons and pick axe were necessary. We did have a great hike though. ended up with 12.07 miles in 5 hrs and 28 min. We made sure we had a Wilderness Permit too. Good thing, because there was a ranger on the trail checking. We plan to try this one again in a few weeks.

Great hike today. perfect weather. Crampons and microspikes were not needed. (although, if you call the ranger station, they would probably say they are required). There was a ranger on the trail checking for permits, so make sure you get one, you need one even for day hikes! Water was available on the trail once you pass the Limber Pine Bench campground. Follow the signs from the fire station and take 1W07 (or Upper Rd), there's a small sign that directs you to the right for parking. Turn right there (duh), the road then sweeps to the left and just follow it until it ends at a small dirt parking lot by the trailhead sign. It fills up quick, so get there early.

such a beautiful hike. Took awhile to find the right trail haha so but worth it.

suc