Saline Valley Road Drive

Saline Valley Road Drive is a 78.1 mile point-to-point trail located near Bishop, CA. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for scenic driving and off road driving.

78.1 miles 7375 feet Point to Point

scenic driving

off road driving

I entered Saline Valley from the north out of Big Pine off the road to Death Valley. Foolishly I went alone in a Toyota Corona Mark ll. I went off the the road to explore but I almost got stuck in the sand and fortunately I had chains and it was a miracle that I got back on the road. There was a flash flood at one point and I got to high ground.Proceeding out of the valley to the south end the road was rocky and I could feel the rocks scraping the bottom of my car. I came out onto US 190 on the east side of Owens Lake. I think if I had had a higher clearance vehicle that had true 4WD not the 4WD in todays street cars I would have enjoyed the trip more. I never saw any other vehicles the whole time and my CB radio did not pick up anybody. Exciting but scarry too. If you love solitude and the desert you'll love this trip. Take plenty of water. Supposedly there is an old communal hang out on the north east end. I drove this in 1976.

off road driving

We came in on the "South Road" from Olancha as the North Pass was still icy and covered in snow at many points. We came in at night, which I do not recommend for first timers, as the road has its challenges! Extremely rocky and bumpy with washboards throughout. Driving in the daylight is also quite dramatic as the views and vistas are breathtaking. This is not a road for novices and you must be certain to bring in everything you might need as there are no stores, your cell phone will probably not work and AAA will NOT come and tow you out. I have explored this area in detail for many years and it is one of my most favorite places to visit. The landscape is similar to that of Death Valley along with the same flora, fauna and geographical attributes. High ground clearance is required and four-wheel drive can get you into more trouble than you can get out of!