Sagehen Creek Trail

Sagehen Creek Trail is a 4.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Truckee, CA that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

It was really lovely during fall, with golden aspen, the babbling creek and blue sky with big storm clouds. It was enjoyed by both advanced hikers and those who never hike in our party. I would def. recommend it.

Nice, fairly flat trail. Great views along the creek, especially once out of the woods.

Fun trail. My wife and I enjoyed it.

Nice, easy walk, very pretty with ample water for the dogs. The only caveat is some aggressive Yellowjackets, but I have read that they are just very prevalent this year

Limited parking. Beautiful start thru forest. Opens to large meadow. Finishes back in shady forest. Great flat hike that will keep you going for 90+ minutes.

We loved it! I took my 12yr old daughter and it was awesome! Quiet, flat, shady, it was wonderful. Highly recommend it.

Didn't find the loop but overall it was a very easy walk. Great for all ages and the dogs loved having the creek right there almost the whole time. I would definitely start early with dogs so their feet don't get too hot on the dirt.

July 2016 was perfect timing for a beautiful wildflower walk at Sagehen Creek. Much of the trail was in the shade of the trees in the morning and the flowers among the grasses in the meadows were plentiful. It was an easy, flat trail for us over 60 people just getting into hiking again.

Great easy trail, good for young kids. We have clocked it nearer to 6 miles. The meadow is beautiful, it's nice and quiet. The beginning of the loop back is a little open, but there is good shade most of the way around,

This is a great trail for kids and dogs. If you take your dog's make sure to go early enough. Parts of the trail are not shaded and the dirt can get very hot.

The flowers and meadow were beautiful. There is a creek that is easily accessible from the trail. While Stampede does have water, it is no where near full, so if your plan is to get to the water keep in mind that there is not a groomed trail to get you there.

Wildflowers everywhere. Meadow. Creek. Marsh. Forrest. Lake views. Flat terrain.

I definitely recommend doing an out and back rather than a loop. The return of the loop is mostly on a dirt road with no shade. When you hit the dirt road, turn around and return the way you came.

With two elementary children and an aged dog, it took us 2 hours and 45 minutes to do the loop with two snack breaks.

Wonderful trail! The trail is full of wildflowers and butterflies, though the Camus Lily bloom is at the very end. These meadows are still gorgeous, lush and green. Lots of aspens for fall color later.
The entrance (and trail) seem to have no markers or signage.
Going north on 89, it is the next car park area past Hobson Mills. Boots recommended--some muddy crossings in the spring.

Enjoyed this trail with a small group of friends. I especially enjoy the view of the meadows and surrounding mountains. The sound of the creek was very relaxing. I would hike this trail again.

great hike for early june. easy trail with creek, meadows, lots of wild flowers and lake view at end. not really a loop. easily distinguished trail out and back but could not find a loop trail. even if there was one, I would prefer returning on the meadow and creek side route. we logged 5.8 miles out and back .

Nice walk, many wild flowers