Rustic Canyon Loop Trail

Rustic Canyon Loop Trail is a 5.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pacific Palisades, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Rustic Canyon Loop is a 5 mile loop trail located near Pacific Palisades, California that features a waterfall. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Be careful as there have been recent reports of the trail being washed out.

Great trail however if you do it clock-wise.. trail is gone about .5 mile away from bottom. It doesn't exist. So we had to backtrack 2 miles

Great hiking gotta go again

Very good hike challenge the deeper you go happy camping mate

I like hiking, but I'm not physically fit for hiking uphills and going through rocky narrow paths and that's what this trail gave me mostly haha. Even though I feel like I almost died, this trail was such an adventure and we didn't even go through the graffiti abandoned buildings and the backbone bridge that everyone is talking about -- sadly, we didn't know about those spots. We had a friend who apparently has been here before who lead us through a looping wooden stairs (that's probably about 400 stairs) that's all covered in dirt and then we were supposed to go through this pathway thats over the edge of the mountain but it was closed so we decided to just go down, which was the muddy and wet creek area. Going through the creek was all our first times so we didn't even know what was ahead of us or what obstacles we had to face (even the guy who had been to Rustic Canyon trail before). Going through the creek felt like I was at an anaconda movie, thank goodness there weren't any snakes. After a rain and going through that creek with a non hiking shoes was not the greatest idea, but again it was an adventure. Then we finally found an actual trail path which lead us to the Will Rogers park and walked up through an actual trail (that's when we started to see other hikers..I was so happy. I thought I'd never get outta that creek). About .5-a mile into this canyon trail, we got lost of trying to go back to where we started without going through the creek. So we went back. Back down and through the creek. And that's when we realized that there were poison oaks at the creek. Going back up was the hardest. I had to stop so many times and my two friends who was with me had to keep motivating me that we were almost there. Going back up those wooden stairs killed me more, I told my friends to just leave me. I couldn't feel my legs.
If anyone has hiked the Potato Chip Rock, this hike was worse for me. I got battle scars all over my body from branches and thorns to prove it and a sore ass body the next morning. Again, it was an adventure but never again.

This was an interesting adventure. I took this clockwise (I'd recommend the other way for better views). In the direction I went...
The hike up to the peak is a great trail, well maintained, with spectacular view of the LA basin and Santa Monica Bay. Could see all the way to downtown LA, San Pedro Hill, Catalina, and even Santa Barbara Island.
The trail down to Rustic Canyon is somewhat overgrown and seriously eroded (but empty, if you want solitude). Fairly steep in places.
Upper Rustic Canyon has a number of deteriorated buildings and foundations, all covered in graffiti (an interesting psychedelic look on the 'barn'. Unfortunately, the graffiti extends to trees and rocks.
Lower Rustic Canyon is an 'unmaintained' trail... it's overgrown in places, but also it really means it is mostly in the creekbed, so with a few inches of water as there was today and many crossings, it requires some agility (and will result in wet feet, if you don't have good shoes). After a rain, it might be impassable in places.

Gross. A reminder why hiking in LA is disappointing.