Romero Canyon Trail

Romero Canyon Trail is a 5.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Santa Barbara, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

When it's sunny and hot, bring at least 2 liters of water. Long pants recommended, as the trail is a bit overgrown in some places.

One of my favorite hikes! So beautiful and the views are amazing! Not too hard.

One of my favorite hikes! Beautiful views.

The trail ebs and flows, some spots are really beautiful and lush, others offer really great views.

The trail was beautiful, had lots of shade, but trail wasn't well marked and near creek path is narrow and overgrown with grasses. Other than that was beautiful and would hike it again.

This ride is among one of my favorites in SB. The climb up the fire road is gradual and very scenic with plenty of vistas to stop for great pictures if you're into that kind of stuff. The climb will turn into an easy singletrack to the top. If you are more of a beginner taking the fire road back down would still be fun for you but if you're like me and like a bit more of a challenge the single track with chunks of rock gardens down is a blast. While it is a bit technical it doesn't require a huge travel bike of any additional pads unless you're planning on railing it. Make sure and bring a bell, I frequently see hikers and it's better to be considerate.

Went here today with some friends who wanted to show me a pretty challenging trail that has some incredible views. Check the GPX file I uploaded to see where we went.. Not being a top notch trail runner I had to take many walk/hike breaks. We went up going counter clockwise as it's not as steep although it was plenty steep enough. After 4 miles we hit a junction of trails and we went up the trail to the right - the much steeper section that we had to hike up mostly. A little over a mile of this hiking leads to the top of this peak - 3200 feet in elevation! The downhill section then leads to Camino Cielo where there is a WW2 battery platform. Back down on the trail, which is steeper and also littered with rocks so watch out for your footing. You get back to the trail junction after 4 miles of downhill which leaves another 2 plus miles back to the trailhead.

Amazing views even in the fog. I was the only mountain biker on the way up which was kinda cool! Stopped just past five miles uphill and took a break. Even with the fog, I could see the Ventura coastline. I'm from Ventura and we got some good trails but this one is right up at the top with the best of them... God Willing, I will definitely ride and hike this many times more!

Hiked the loop counter clockwise. Starting up the canyon it's a steep climb, 2200 feet uphill in the first 2 miles followed by a leisurely decent along the fire road the remaining 4 miles. Beautiful views. Lot's of mountain bikers, most of them with bells on which makes it easy to get out of the way.

A lot of climbing on this trail...not sure it's worth the downhill. If you are a DH rider then this might not be a great option unless you have a few hours to burn pushing your bike up. Once you get to the trailhead at the top (center of the figure eight), you fly down a fast and flowy section before hitting a very technical rock garden. There are a few sketchy points, so watch out and bring full gear if you plan on bombing it.

Fantastic canyon hiking mixed in with a nice fire road to take in the views from on the way down. I hiked this trail starting out at the normal trailhead, heading straight up the Romero Canyon Trail. It's fairly steep covering roughly 2200' vertical over 4 miles to E Camino Cielo at the ridge. From there, we headed west to the fire road and looped back down completing the full figure 8 for another 8 miles. Total 12miles...unbeatable views from the fire road of the full coast from Mugu Peak in the south to Goleta in the north...amazing. Saw parachuters to the north as icing on the cake :)

This is my go-to mountain biking trail. You can ride up the fire/utility road and then come down the single track trail through the rock gardens along the creek. There are spectaular views of Santa Barbara and Carpinteria most of the way up the fire road. At the top where the trail comes to East Camino Cielo road you get a nice view of Los Padres National Forest and the mountains behind Santa Barbara/Carpinteria. It usually takes me about an hour and a half to ride up, it's pretty steep and just under 7 miles up the fire road. And then takes me about 25 minutes to come down. Lots of hikers and dogs and a few horses on the trail.

3 miles to the top of the trail. 2200 foot elevation gain. Spectacular trail, strenuous.