Rock House

Rock House is a 4.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Chula Vista, California that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Once on top, to the east you can see the eastern mountains, rolling hills, and the Salt Creek Golf Course; to the west and south you can see all of Bonita, Sweetwater Reservoir, and Chula Vista all the way to the bay and the sea. Enjoy views all the way to Mexico, Coronado, and Downtown San Diego. No shade, rapid elevation change, very steep in some areas. Loose rocks! Be careful on your way down.

Great and challenging hike with a good amount of incline! Loved it!

No shade or variety. Trail is pretty much wiped out along the steeper parts.

Very nice hike with a beautiful view on a good day! Not super hard but a perfect hike for those wanting to celebrate this great nation with a great view ;)

Great hike. Took our two kids and puppy, challenging but not too hard.

stip on the way down. short cut route

Great trail even with a 25 pound 18 month old on your back. My wife carried him up and I carried him down and we all made it.

I hike, bike, run this trail weekly for the challenge, relative solitude, and amount of other trails linked to it.

Yesterday, as I rode by a few large power line towers, I felt an electrical current in my bike brake handle every time I touched it until I was 50 yards last it. So, be careful and avoid to touching metal when near any power line towers out here. I think it's called EMF.

This is like Cowles for Southbay. Not really hard but can be a little steep toward the first crest. But you can see more than enough from the top.

Fun trail! No shade so start early! It was definitely a workout going up. Watch your step when descending as there is lots of loose gravel.

fun easy hike

Of course I went the wrong way - I made a right instead of going straight across the cement "bridge." Couldn't find the switchbacks and the app wasn't working so I found the hill that goes straight up. It was a great workout. There's not too much to look at on the way up, reminds me a lot of McDowell mountain in Arizona, but it was pretty clear for a little bit, so I did get a nice view of downtown San Diego in the distance. It's worth it once you get to the top; so cool to see the American Flag and POW glad. I just sat up there for a while and took everything in. The climb down wasn't bad, and I did find the switchbacks this time, which I would recommend to take down because the straight up hill is too steep, and some people did slip down it as I was hiking up it. Good hike, I'd do it again.

REALLY wish I'd read the reviews first!

The trail isn't marked at all. So, just my luck, I went the wrong way and went up the wrong mountain (hill, probably) to start off with! It was only a mile off course, and the map on the app didn't help because poor reception.

On my way back to where I was pretty sure I was supposed to go I saw a trail going up so I took it. Apparently that's the steep side these reviews talk about. KILLER work out! I never found any switchbacks. Maybe a few near the top. It was pretty much straight up the whole way.

I went early so there wasn't really anyone to follow on the way back down and somehow I took the same steep side going back. DON'T DO THAT! Super dangerous without the right equipment. My shoes have great traction but I felt unsafe.

About the top:
Great view of all of San Diego. If you go early enough and catch the sun rising you get a stunning view of the light bouncing off of all the buildings Downtown.

Any Patriots will really love this hike. The hard work to get there and then seeing the American and POW flags gives you some real perspective. Do yourself a favor and take a minute to sing the National Anthem while you're there.

Moderate in difficulty with some good uphill (but not hard) workout. 75% of the trail has no shade, not much scenery, and an easy descent hurt the score but the view at the top kept it up. Once you reach that flag in the rocks, its incredible.

Very confusing with all of the different paths! Follow the map! If you stick to the switchbacks it's not a bad hike! Beautiful view in the end :)

Nice quick hike. Book to sign at top, also someone left water bottles on top for hikers.

Great hike

nobody takes the actual trail.
felt like that guy with the big head in the Shrek movie when running back haha but still nice and easy...