Mission Trails - Climbers Loop Trail

Mission Trails - Climbers Loop Trail is a 1.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near San Diego, CA that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, rock climbing, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Climbers Loop Trail is part of Mission Trails Regional Park in San Diego. The trail is used for hiking and access to the rock climbing walls.

Short fun trail! Cool rocks

I like this Trail, has a little bit of everything for the whole family

I say backpacking rather than hiking because I usually do this trail with a pack of climbing gear. It's steep but groomed. It's relentless but brief. It's good for a quick pump as a hike or run if you have the strength for it.

I completed mission hills 5 peak challenge in a week and was feeling pretty proud of myself at 60 years old. I was walking the path from the visitor center to the dam when I passed by climbers loop. There was a bunch of rock climber repelling up at the top and what looked like Boy Scout troops going up the trail. I thought what the heck let's check it out and I started up the trail. This trail is different than all the rest as it's very steep and narrow in places. It's not all dirt, there are a lot of boulders you have to climb over. I was probably 100 feet from the top when I began to second guess as myself as to why I was trying something so dangerous and turned around and went back down. If you like a little excitement in your hike this one is for you

narrow paths

To short but it was nice

Tough but quick.

Short and sweet. Was hoping for something a little more challenging for "hard", but it was still fun. It is pretty quiet which is always appreciated.

Winner of the steepest ascent over a short (0.1 mile) distance in my time tracking trails in San Diego. By my GPS watch, you will climb a total of 169 feet between 0.2-0.3 miles from the South trailhead. This equates to a 32% incline over that segment of the trail! Nearly the entire ascent on this trail is found in the first 0.3 miles. I think the difficulty in this trail is really the tricky terrain at the top as you traverse past the sections where rock climbers tread. Overall, a good, quick hike that you'll be happy to tell people you completed.

I had been eyeing this hike from South Fortuna forever. Finally did it with my 12 yr old and was actually a bit let down.
It's not long which I knew, but after you're up it wasn't much of a workout. Had to be careful going over which slows you down.
If you're going to hike and be out and about its okay. Not really a good workout though, IMO.

Like the previous review. Short and intense. I haven't hiked in 6wks and it totally had me breathing hard and stoping. I'll go back for a little short training. Rugged terrain and have to use arms and legs to lift yourself up. Get me back to 11,000 elevation shape.

Short intense and sweet