River of Skulls Trail

River of Skulls Trail is a 0.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Valley Springs, CA that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and birding and is accessible year-round.

It's an easy trail for people with kids and beautiful once you get down by the water

it's good...maybe in the spring it would be better. I tried to record my hike but it didn't work...oh well, I'll try again another day.

Great little route. Ran it each direction.

Nice drive and Beautiful but super easy and short hike. Nice romantic little stroll then go have some lunch by Lake Hogan

4 stars for scenery and variety. Short, mostly shaded walk with a slight climb, though the section along the river has lots of cobble. Lots of birds; without trying we saw mountain bluebird, savannah sparrow, wild turkey, scrub jay, red-tailed hawk, and black-headed vultures. And the drive to the trailhead, if you take Hogan Dam Road, has great views. Good walk for children and/or winter keeping in shape.

Took a short hike with my family and this is a very easy hike for all levels. It starts with a small climb and finishes along the banks of the Calaveras river just below the New Hogan dam. Note: this trail in located in Valley Springs off of Silver Rapids not in Farmington like the app states.

This was my first official hike that I've done a review for. Recently I've been looking for trails to explore because I am an amateur photographer with interests in wildlife settings, flora, and fauna. Driving around New Hogan Lake I accidentally came upon this trail and decided to check it out. Unfortunately, it was cloudy and knew little to no information on the trail due to the empty brochure box. While it was a short and enjoyable walk, clean open trails and absent of any other hikers, I came upon a recently dead deer carcass that was most likely eaten by a local mountain lion. The water was cold and low, but heard quite a bit of frogs and lots of birds all around. I will plan on visiting this trail on another day, perhaps later in the year when flowers are blooming and the water is much higher.