Rocky Ridge View, Sycamore, and Devil's Hole Loop Trail

Rocky Ridge View, Sycamore, and Devil's Hole Loop Trail is a 6.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Danville, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from February until February. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

6.3 miles 2086 feet Loop

Fun 6 mile hike into a remote area of Las Trampas. Great views East towards Mount Diablo and West towards the Oakland Hills. Hike begins at the very end of Bollinger Canyon Rd at the Las Trampas Staging Area where there is plenty of free parking. Take Rocky Ridge View Trail (paved road) up the hill for .8 miles. The trail turns left onto a single track that runs diagonally up to Rocky Ridge. At the top, follow the Ridge Trail South for .83 miles and enjoy the magnificent views in all directions. Turn right on Sycamore and enjoy the views and rock formations for 1.26 miles to the bottom of the canyon where a creek runs year round. Cross over the creek for a short distance and make a hard left on Devil's Hole Trail. Be prepared for some serious climbing for the next 1.3 miles back up to Rocky Ridge. Turn right on Rocky Ridge Trail for .38 miles and turn left on Elderberry for 1.67 miles mostly through the woods. At the bottom where there are picnic tables, turn left for .37 back to the parking lot.

Accidentally did the reverse of the proposed trail- really burned my legs out on the incline. Ok hike and weather, but too many people and a lot of dogs.

I have always hiked in the Sierras, and decided to check out the coastal range. I prefer the Sierras, but I've heard Muir Woods is a good place to check out.

The shell mound is cool, lots of lizards, saw some deer and a rattlesnake once right in the middle of the trail. Oh and cows! You can see SF from the top if it's clear.

Tough incline at first but views are amazing and overall a great hike!!

easy

Hike is a serious cardio work out if you follow the proposed trail and include Sycamore and Devil's Hole Trails in your route.

Going down Sycamore Trail from the Ridge is a bit of a scramble.

Quite steep, but the view is definitely worth the climb. The trail map provided by the park is not very helpful. Half the time we couldn't tell where we were and no one else on the trail was sure either. Despite that, it's a challenging hike with a reward at the top :) I definitely plan to do it again.

Great!! Not for beginners lots of hills

Great workout if you do the full loop! With 2 steep climb it's excellent cardio. Do it!

Pretty strenuous at first but well worth it . More signs would help with directions but we found our way eventually ! View was great

Great hike! Lots and lots of hills to get to the top, but it's worth it for the view!! Gorgeous! I'll definitely do this hike again!

This is a good trail. It definitely get your heart pumping with repeating steep grades if you follow the documented path. There are alternate trails which make it easier, but still fun on a sunny cool day. There is some overhead cover at different spots on the trail. I've hiked during Fall and Winter. It could be a different experience during Spring and Summer. There are porta-potties at trail head.

These trails are range roads primarily. There are several of them. Keep focus on Alltrails app or you can walk a different trail than what is documented here.

If during colder days after you reach the time, it gets cold with the wind blowing. After rainy season, water run-off has several spots that are really muddy and slippery; and when descending, be ready to "surf" down the mud and prepare for the sudden stop at vegetation again. So take a spare set of shoes after the hike.

I hike this with my 19 and 18 years old sons. They enjoy it too because there is a lot of things to see in the 6 miles.

The only part of the trail I don't like is the paved part, but it is a small part of the entire trail.

My group and I had lots of fun on this trail. We arrived early and finished before noon.

It was wet and rainy, which made for a muddy experience. But all the more fun if you ask me. Lots of newts on the trail.

Great views of the area. The hike is moderate, our family enjoyed hiking to the top of the hill. We will go there again soon.

Las Trampas has something for every level and/or mood. There are some short, easy trails, but you can easily create longer and more intense paths through the network. Bring plenty of food and water as it does get hot in the summer and there are long open stretches.

Nice week day hike to help get in/stay in shape. Can get windy so dress accordingly.

We did another part of the park today. started off on Elderberry to rocky ridge view to and went up and back on cuesta trail. the beginning of the trail is the hardest. once you hit cuesta trail on top it is mostly flat and down hill to the parking lot. on our way done we headed up cuesta and this was a good workout too. very steep and got the heart racing. it took about 2 hours total. not much shade cover, we had nice wind but if not it will be very hot. bring lots of water and make sure you have sunscreen. the sun did burn. only ran into two people. we went at 8am. we can see oakland once you hit rocky ridge view.

We started at Bollinger loop to Las Trampas Ridge to Sulphur Springs to Del Amigo to Trapline to Chamise to Mahogany and then down. It was an awesome hike. Long moderate hills and same the downside. The hardest part was Mahogany. Very steep. Great views--you can see all the way to the benecia bridge. Lots of tree coverage on this part of the valley. We went on the earlier side 8am and it was foggy--I can imagine that if it is sunny it gets very hot. Bring lots of water. There is a map at the staging area. It is a bit confusing but one can figure it out. There are a ton of trails to do here. Some are all day adventures.