Reyes Peak Trail

Reyes Peak Trail is a 1.8 mile out and back trail located near Ojai, CA that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

Directions from Ventura: Travel about 40 miles north on Highway 33 to Pine Mountain Road. Drive to Reyes Peak Campground (near the end of Pine Mountain Road) and continue along a rough road to a parking area.

Great hike went almost to Haddock not hard to follow but very overgrown. The Views are fantastic, the trees and boulders refreshing BUT as of 7/24/2016 this is closed due to a Large fire starting at Haddock.

Visited this trail with my family today for an #OptOutside celebration of the season. The exciting one-lane ridge road to the trailhead dominated our attention. While I navigated the many turns, my family enjoyed the spectacular views. It was clear enough for us to see the Channel Islands. We could even see Santa Rosa!

We made it to the trailhead, not quite prepared for the elevation or the cold. So we 'dipped our toes' into the trails, but didn't make an honest effort to get to the peak. At the trail's first fork, the right branch is marked and the left isn't, though it is well worn. The right descends around the mountain a bit. We didn't walk too far before we turned around and decided to take the left trail at the fork. There we found two trains, one that appeared to descend around the opposite side of the mountain and another that went straight up.

We took the latter for a bit but soon decided that we'd attempt it another day when we came back to camp.

Great trail! We did an 8 mile in and back from Pine Mountain campground. Drive to the Reyes Peak trail head unless your looking for the major leg workout! The views are awesome! The campground was spacious and perfect, and plenty of local firewood to burn!

It was a wonderful hike, trail is kept up pretty nicely and has some wonderful little views. campsite as the base is simple and has nice landings for tents. The trail runs near a creek but at this time of the year the water was very little so bring lots of water. I only went to Upper Reyes trailhead since I ran out of time. I am planning on going back for a weekend and hike a bit more.

Before coming into the campsite itself is Camp Scheideck Bar. I've heard it's a great little spot and has live bands every so often. They were closed when I was there.

The views from Reyes Peak are exquisite. The rugged face of Haddock to the east looks as if something has been torn from the land leaving this ragged, vertical edge. Off to the northwest, there's something about Lockwood Valley and the tiny mountains beyond it that is just hypnotic. However, Reyes Peak Trail does not actually go up Reyes Peak. The trail officially starts from the road a short way after it is blocked and continues around the north side of the peak, over Haddock, then drops like a stone down to Piedra Blanca National Scenic Trail. The trail is fairly good to Haddock Peak and becomes little more than a game trail after it. Cairns help to keep one to the trail until it starts down between bushes with terrible thorns that leave little doubt as to where the trail is, being the only passable route. It is easier to follow in the lower elevations after the hillside of thorns.

To go up the peak, take the use trail that starts up the mountain to the right a few steps after the trail breaks off the road to the left. A second, much smaller, use trail travels down the east side of the mountain to rejoin the real trail. There are a number of false peaks along the way before the real peak, which has some debris from a lookout destroyed in 1932.

Pine Mountain Ridge Road is closed "winters", which includes the spring day I went. I went up Chorro Grande for access. Snow was still on the trail, with some drifts quite deep, to make route finding a little more challenging, but, well, what a view.

This place is simply amazing...a must see, plus the road getting there is a great drive!!!!!

Bring lots of water in the summer....best times are late fall early spring and winter also...it gets pretty hot during the summer.

It is certainly worth the drive and you can hike in any direction for miles.....from mountain climbing to scenic trail walks in the trees and boulders.......very impressive place to hike or camp......definatly out in the sticks and the night sky is unbelievable...far far from light polution......

From many scenic drives to camping and hiking...this is a off the beaten path eden!

I cant recomend this place enuff.....