Red Hills Loop Trail

Red Hills Loop Trail is a 3.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Jamestown, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Once a restricted area for military training maneuvers, this wild landscape is now open to the public. The trails are unmaintained, and the landscape is pristine. Parts of the trails are made up of old wagon roads. It is a wonderful place to spend the day, especially in mid spring, when the wildflowers are in bloom, and the rattlesnakes are still underground.

I got super lost and almost became a coyotes dinner! We came at 3pm. And didn't find our way back till 7pm! And it was already dark. Really scary. I would recommend going really early incase you get lost. Didn't find the river..): and it was really rocky that I almost fell a couple of times. They need a better trail with signs so people don't get lost since there is different path ways. Watch out for the horse poop!

Trail was hard to figure out. The app led us to a spot where there was no trail and we had to just back track back to the beginning. Very rocky, which would've been alright if they weren't loose rocks and I didn't slide all over the place. It was really dry. Very quite on a weekday. We only saw three people on horses. Do not recommend doing this hike by yourself. We got lost a couple of times.

Pretty warm day, trails was sometime hard to figure out....dry creek beds and trails converge together, making it hard to tell the difference, but this app worked great to get back on track to the trail.

rocky but fun. beautiful wildflowers

it was great and even my kids liked it.

The creek was very low but the wildflowers were everywhere with a very large variety! The trail was rocky but 5 year old did great! Dogs had a blast!!

It was pretty but thinking its a better bike or horse trail!

Like other reviewers have said, its very rocky. We went on the first day of spring 2016 and the grass was green and the wildflowers were still in bloom. The trails are good for hiking but they are more geared for horseback riders, and for the truly adventurous mountain bikers. All in all its a good hike. I would not do this on in the middle of summer though. Like I said first day of spring the temps were at 71 and it was getting warm due to the limited shade.

Easy, except the trail is very rocky. Easy to slip and hard on the feet. Beautiful in early March.

It was a fun trail. Very rocky and the water was good for the dogs to get cool in! We hiked a 6 mile loop. We didn't start where the horse trails start. We went up the road further and parked on a rough dirt road on the left. It was enjoyable and when we had the choice, we went up!

Very nice horseback riding trail. Be careful of the rattlesnakes as it warms up.

Very fun trail. My family loves walking around the miles of trails, but only in the early spring or late fall. Lots of cool rocks of different colors and very little people. Our little dog loves to run free around here too, and yes we pick up after him.

Nice little hike with beautiful scenery of the rolling hills! Perfect for man's best friend.

Lots of rocks so wear good shoes, watch out for horse poop, the end of the loop for me was the hardest. But totally worth it.

Went on Labor Day, noontime so it was quite hot. Horses are allowed on the trail and there were two ahead of us. Be prepared to encounter fresh horse manure is what I'm trying to say. Hike is pretty easy. Not a lot of shade at the beginning of the trail so make sure you wear a hat and cool clothing, and plenty of water. Since we were hiking with a big dog, we were not able to finish the 8-mile loop but will definitely return for another trek.

This trail sucks is not worth the time there's zero people hiking it so in case of an emergency you are on your own. I went this last Sunday and my dog got bit by something and I couldn't get him out fast enough there was absolutely nobody not even in the parking lot. This place sucks I don't recommend it